Callsign
ad: dxeng
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: CHEAP Chinese Radios! ($19 each??)

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-AmericanRadio

Default CHEAP Chinese Radios! ($19 each??)

There are a whole bunch of New Chinese 2M and 450 rigs on Ebay, out of Hong Kong, that, of course, are not FCC Type accepted, but evidently are being bought by US hams as they advertise extensively to the US Market. They get around Customs by marking the item on the box "GIFT" and "No commercial value". The 2 meter one is 2 for only $38! That is just remarkable, 2 brand new HTs for $38? I also don't know if they have standard and special repeater split capability. But 2 for $38 ($19 each???!!!! Shipping stateside is about $25. 5W! Of course, the FCC would be hopping mad about these. One LA area Ham decided to import these and sell them on Ebay. The FCC HAMMERED HIM HARD for that! But I know Hams in our radio club that have bought these and they work. Of course, you get Chinese Quality (or lack of it) and I have heard you have to disassemble the radio and drill a hole in the case so you have sound access to the mike (Chinese forgot about a hole for the mike!). Probably not any batteries or accessory speaker mikes available for these, but again, WHO CARES for $19? These are Disposable HTs! You can't even buy FRS radios that cheap!
    Last edited by WA6MHZ; 07-14-2008 at 03:26 PM.
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

Quote Originally Posted by WA6MHZ View Post
    There are a whole bunch of New Chinese 2M and 450 rigs on Ebay, out of Hong Kong, that, of course, are not FCC Type accepted, but evidently are being bought by US hams as they advertise extensively to the US Market. They get around Customs by marking the item on the box "GIFT" and "No commercial value". The 2 meter one is 2 for only $38! That is just remarkable, 2 brand new HTs for $38? I also don't know if they have standard and special repeater split capability. But 2 for $38 ($19 each???!!!! Shipping stateside is about $25. 5W! Of course, the FCC would be hopping mad about these. One LA area Ham decided to import these and sell them on Ebay. The FCC HAMMERED HIM HARD for that! But I know Hams in our radio club that have bought these and they work. Of course, you get Chinese Quality (or lack of it) and I have heard you have to disassemble the radio and drill a hole in the case so you have sound access to the mike (Chinese forgot about a hole for the mike!). Probably not any batteries or accessory speaker mikes available for these, but again, WHO CARES for $19? These are Disposable HTs! You can't even buy FRS radios that cheap!

AWWW< I gut a pair of "Battywing (/\/\)" FRS radios from Fry's for $4.99 with a $5.00 rebate a couple of years ago...

The quality is probably mediocre; and whatever "features" are included may be questionable. They most likely don't have certification for the receiver portion (for compliance with §Part 15) and may have expanded transmit beyond the Amateur frequencies, which may be what the FCC objected to. Marketing and importation for marketing of non-certified equipment IS a big "no-no" with the FCC.

Personally, I'd rather have a radio (even at higher cost) where the radio requires a replacement set of batteries, rather than a set of batteries needing a replacement radio. I've seem a couple of the various "Chinese" H-T's, and doubt they last much longer than a set of batteries, anyway.

MHZ , Don't you suppose that due to your eagerness to hand out this information, that a whole bunch of unlicensed people just might show up on the 2 meter band with these illegally sold radios ?

Think about it.

I haven't seen these radios but, if the FCC "hammered" them, it is not because they are of cheap quality but because they are most probably, easily modified to work on commercial (sic) frequencies. Tom WA4ILH

Quote Originally Posted by wa4ilh View Post
    I haven't seen these radios but, if the FCC "hammered" them, it is not because they are of cheap quality but because they are most probably, easily modified to work on commercial (sic) frequencies. Tom WA4ILH
    That's obviously another possibility, or even probability. (In the past, some such radios were ePay advertised BECUASE of their ease of mod for non-Amateur frequencies.) But simple lack of certification to §Part 15 is more than enough for the FCC to "snap" into action!

Quote Originally Posted by wa4ilh View Post
    The problem is that these radios are actually ready for commercial frequencies and are actually designed for this purpose. These radios even have scramblers in them so if you were to find freebanders, good luck trying to find what they are saying.

I still do not see how the federal government ( FCC in this case ) has the right to fuss at QRZ for doing what it supposedly did wrong. It aint the FCC s place to do that

IMHO it is like ---me fussing at your children for something they did wrong last year.

first of all --- who cares

second of all --- get over it and grow up FCC. Go to doing your JOB ( enforcing and regulating the radio / tv / etc industry and get off QRZ s back.

Do your job, mister anonymous fcc spokesperson. You are going to have a rough time catching AI4EP for breaking any transmitting rules on his amateur radios, since he apparently spends so much time off the radio and on the internet...just by the evidence of 14,000 posts on ONE site in less than 10 years.

just the facts and it was simple and to the point.
    :p God loves you . :)

Be as nice as you can to others.

I type real slow for those of you who can not read fast.

Sure they are low quality, out of band modified and less than desirable, but for $19 I am really tempted, just to have a HT ready to go as a backup. I know several hams with children who just got their licenses, and they bought them these rigs. So they are kind of toys, disposable HTs, and serve the purpose of quick and dirty communications. These are the equivalent today of when we could buy ARC-5s new in the box for $5 back in the 50s!
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

I would still rather have my HTX 202 ! At least, I know it is going to transmit when I push the button !

From what I understand the radios are actually quite good.

And don't be fooled by the $19 price. You pay a hefty "shipping" charge. They ship from Asia so eBay doesn't really pull the auctions for excessive shipping since it may actually cost that much to ship them!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast