ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

Default Mods for the TM-v710a?

Hello and 73,

Is there any mods for the 710 to open transmit through the full V and U scale?

N9WXJ

It would be illegal to transmit on any of those frequencies anyhow.

so big question is WHY??

It is not illegal if you have a letter of permission. I want to use the same radio for all of my services I do. Satisfied?

9WXJ you mean the FCC actually gave you a letter?

While a letter from some outfit may be nice, the FCC says NO. THEY are the final authority, not some user of the frequency.

Amateur Radios may NOT be used on ANY commercial frequency. Period.

Oh ... I am sorry, there are those who say ... emergency. whatever. Your license ... not mine.

By the way, you may want to ask Glen, K9STH, one of the QRZ moderators about the Philly FD who got hit big time with fines for using the wrong radios in their activity. Not only fines, but they had to purchase legal radios.
    Last edited by W0LPQ; 07-09-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N9WXJ View Post
    It is not illegal if you have a letter of permission. I want to use the same radio for all of my services I do. Satisfied?
    Nope. Not satisfied.

A "letter of permission" from whom?
    Semper ubi sub ubi. 73
    K7KBN CWO4 USNR Ret.

Quote Originally Posted by N9WXJ View Post
    Whoever told you THAT is flat, dead WRONG. NO "letter" supersedes the FCC rules, and the FCC rules state that ONLY certified equipment can be used in services other than Amateur Service, and NO Amateur equipment is certified, because Amateur equipment is not required to be certified.

Save yourself the $11,000/day forfeiture as well as loss of your Amateur license. (Additional penalties can also be added.) In addition, whoever or whatever agency issued the "letter" can be liable for use of non-certified equipment covered by their license, which they could lose in the process.

Now, do you really want to be part of your services having to pay large fines and/or lose their licenses? It may not look well on your next performance review...

BTW, as an Amateur, you are SUPPOSED to know the rules. Nowhere in the FCC rules is there a provision for a "letter" that authorizes out-of-band operation of Amateur equipment. And if modified, even accidental out of band transmissions are not overlooked by the FCC; "OOPS" isn't a good enough excuse.
    Last edited by WA9SVD; 07-10-2008 at 01:46 PM.

SVD: You trying to make a Federal case out of this?

Oh, wait. It already is!
    Semper ubi sub ubi. 73
    K7KBN CWO4 USNR Ret.

Quote Originally Posted by k7kbn View Post
    SVD: You trying to make a Federal case out of this?

Oh, wait. It already is!
    Same question (and faulty rationale) comes up every week it seems. And while there may be some rationale for a mod on HF radios that were pre-60 Meter capable, or for legitimate MARS authorized operators, there appears to be NO legitimate reason for modifying a VHF or VHF/UHF Amateur Radio. Particularly when the individuals asking are (by and large) newly licensed, and can cause irreparable damage to their radio if they aren't careful. (Of course, the same can happen to fumble-fingered OF's, too.) Amateur equipment is no longer approved for use by CAP, which was a major user of VHF.

IE: My day job is a Radio Tech/Tower Monkey for KSL841, but I have to carry around my own separate radio for that purpose.

We actually have a trunked UHF system as well. I forget the callsign.

At work, I have to carry around two bulky Motorolas. (Because the newer iComs that we have won't put up with the abuse that I like to put them through.)

I can't use my Yaesu at work because I'm on the clock. The only radio communication I should be doing is for work purposes.

At home, I have no desire to talk to work personnel. They pay me for 40 hours a week and not a second more, this place can burn down for all I care, so long as it's not on my shift. I'm off the clock.

Think of it that way.
    Last edited by W3RPM; 07-10-2008 at 12:40 PM.