ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Good 2 Meter Base Antenna And Mobile Antenna

I want to get some ideas and input on what antenna is the best bang for the buck $. I understand you get what you pay for but I see there are alot of antennas out there but I just need some ideas. I want to get started on this project nextweek I have a MFJ antenna up at the present time but I want to put a new one up and get a nice mobile 2 meter antenna also. They dont have to be the best on the market but worth the money I end up spending. I see Diamond seems to make a good antenna .
    Last edited by KC9NGH; 04-25-2008 at 02:06 AM.

For mobile, Larsen. Commercial grade antenna for no more than an amateur grade anttenna that will need replacement in a few years. I have 25 year old Larsens that are just fine, and others here have similar stories.

For fixed use I have an old Motorola labelled folded antenna that looks like a trombone and was probably made by Phelps-Dodge. I've had it forever so I can't offer any guidance on that one.

TonyV225

Here is what I use and is a great antenna

http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/x510series.html
    The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.

What kind of activity do you plan on at your home station, Local FM or weak signal SSB/CW DXing?
    For local FM a home made GP will cost you $5 for some stiff #12 wire and a SO239 connector and work as well as an expensive comet or Newtronics model !
    The Coax and mounting pi[pe will cost more than the antenna its self !
    For serious DX on SSB/CW/DIGI, you need a long yagi antenna and rotator. The magazines and ham catalogs are full of Yagis and towers, this can get expensive, but generally speaking, the bigger and higher the antenna, the farther you can work over the horizon ! .
    Working over a thousand miles on 2M is not as rare as you may think, with the right antenna and a lot of luck and the right conditions..
    Last edited by k8jd; 04-25-2008 at 03:11 AM.
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

For a directional gain antenna (it can be made to work with either vertical or horizontal polarization) you cannot "beat" the quagi. The antenna is very inexpensive to build and, if you follow the directions, works correctly every time. There is no "special" type of matching between the coaxial cable and the driven element (the coaxial cable hooks directly to the driven element).

You can get the directions at the following URL:

http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/woverbeck/quagi.htm

Glen, K9STH

I actually just bought 2 towers they were delivered a few weeks ago so Im set in that department plus Im up high on a hill so that helps As far as what will I be doing well for now its local repeaters but I want to DX aswell so when I set myself up the way I want it its going to be done right away so I dont have to deal with it again anytime soon. Basically I want it done right or the best I can for now and can go from there as far as changes that can be made.

7. Default

Tony,As W6GQ has mentioned Diamond makes great antennas for local FM repeaters. I have used a Diamond X200A with great results. As far as weak signal work your best bet is a horizontal polarized yagi or quad. Good luck.

[url]http://thehamshack.proboards53.com/index.cgi[/url]

For VHF (And UHF) be sure to get good coax feedline for your base use.
    Times LMR-400 for anything longer than 20 or so feet, Up to about 75 feet total length. (Keep the coax as short as possible, IF you should need to run longer than around 75 feet, Consider some surplus Heliax)
    Do include UHF in your plans, Get a dual band antenna right away. There are lots of reasons to have 440.
    Something like the Diamond 510 or similar for an omni is a good choice.

Now between Diamond and Comet I am still better off with Diamond? I ran a Comet GP-3 for a month or 2 a guy I bought a van from had the antenna in the back of the van he had just moved and never put it up yet. He said hey Ill be working all summer and Ill be on the road so take that Comet and put it up see what you think. I liked it but Im sure the higher up models only get even better so after he picked up the GP-3 tonight I was considering getting one but if Diamonds better than Ill do that instead.

Thanks for all the ideas guys all Iknow is I have to get everything moving here My wife and my 13 year old daughter and 12 year old son got there tech tickets on Nov 2 and I upgraded to General so the hunt is on for setups now. They will share some HF setup but they will get there own 2 meter setups. Ok thanks again Godbless and Happy Hollidays and safe ones aswell to you all ....Tony (KC9NGH)

Quote Originally Posted by KC9NGH View Post
    Now between Diamond and Comet I am still better off with Diamond? I ran a Comet GP-3 for a month or 2 a guy I bought a van from had the antenna in the back of the van he had just moved and never put it up yet. He said hey Ill be working all summer and Ill be on the road so take that Comet and put it up see what you think. I liked it but Im sure the higher up models only get even better so after he picked up the GP-3 tonight I was considering getting one but if Diamonds better than Ill do that instead.

Thanks for all the ideas guys all Iknow is I have to get everything moving here My wife and my 13 year old daughter and 12 year old son got there tech tickets on Nov 2 and I upgraded to General so the hunt is on for setups now. They will share some HF setup but they will get there own 2 meter setups. Ok thanks again Godbless and Happy Hollidays and safe ones aswell to you all ....Tony (KC9NGH)
    I would get the Diamond. I thought my Comet was destroyed by lightning so I took it down and replaced it with the Diamond. I then took the comet apart because I couldnt see any physical damage from lightning. Turns out the inner copper rod came unsoldered. Do not know how that happened but it did. I have had the Diamond up only a few months but my other friends had theirs up for years with no troubles at all.
    The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast