ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec

Default Proper Station Identification

I am a resurrected ham, first licensed in the early 70's and now back on the air again after many silent years. I recall one of my "Elmer" friends always stating that you should always end every voice transmission with your call sign whenever possible. About the only exception is when when a few stations are rag chewing back and forth and each one is giving short transmissions of a few seconds or so, in which case the 10 minute ID rule applies, identify at least every ten minutes.

Now that I'm hearing operating practices after many years of being off the air, I find that much of the time stations will end their transmission with the station they are calling, rather than ending in their own call. (For example, "This is WB0GFZ, turning it back to K0XYZ!") Or just saying "Go ahead." or the old "Over." without Identifying their station as the last thing.

I've been browsing through ARRL publications, new and old, and can't seem to find it anywhere. It has cause me to think maybe it was just Elmer's opinion.

Am I just being a prude? Or has operating practices changed or become lax over the years. Any comments, thoughts or suggestions??

Craig
    WB0GFZ

Actually, the rules have changed over the years.

Part 97 only requires station identification every ten minutes and/or at the end of every communication.

No reason to identify any more often than that, although it's certainly permissible.

Welcome back!

WB2WIK/6

While Steve is correct about the 10 minutes, I'm not sure the rules have changed. But that's OK. Some of us prefer to sign WB0GFZ this is K3WRV when we're turning it over, especially when there's a lot of QRM, so the other guy knows we sent it back. Some of us just say, this is K3WRV, OVER, and some of us just chat back and forth and try to pay a bit of attention to the clock. For example, if the QSO is going :

"We've got severe thunderstorms here
    Oh Really
    Yep, just saw a big bolt of lightening" You wouldn't bother with ID after each transmission - just talk like you're on the telephone.

On HF, you won't get called down for any of this, except maybe during a contest, but around here, it's frowned upon on VHF repeaters.
    Ham radio is something you DO and LEARN. NOT something you BUY!

The way I always interpreted the rule is that you must ID at the end of a converstion (i.e., communication), not after every transmission. If the conversation lasts more than 10 minutes, you must ID at least every 10 minutes.

I thought I read a long time ago that it used to be required to ID at the beginning of a communication as well. That is no longer required, but I always do anyway.
    Craig, N4QWB
    [url=http://www.scmorris.com/n4qwb][b]My Station Homepage[/b][/url]

The rules have also changed. In the past, you had to give both calls. Now, you only have to give your own call to ID. You don't have to ID at the beginning, but must at the end, and every 10 minutes during a long conversation.

In a round table, everyone must identify every ten minutes. But just their own call.

With vox and modern transceivers and fast switching amps, nearly everyone is VOX operation in a round table so you can have a conversation among many. Or you pass it around quickly.

There are some strange practices on some nets, where you give only the 'last two' of your call to log in. not exactly legal, but if you ID immediately after recognized with full call, ie, if your call is WX1ABC, you log in by saying 'BC'. The net conrol come sback BC? and you give your full call.

I guess that the FCC really doesn't care. It just wants to hear the ID. Reduces congestion of 20 poeple calling with full calls creating a mess that no one can get any call.

Things are different than 20-30-40 years ago. Somethings better - like no band full of AM carriers and double sideband circa 1960 creating a gigantic mess and heterodynes that would give you a headache for hours. Less drifing and better rigs. Better modulation and audio on the air. Less splatter due to better equipment. More bands! WARC bands plus 60M. More modes (PSK31 and others).