ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Heil

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Vista XXX-R power supply.

I picked up a Vista power supply model XXX-R and can not find a reference to it on any web-site. It appears well made, heavy and is well regulated. Sure would like to locate a schematic or owners manual. Any one have an idea?? Thanks, Gary. (WB7DIE)

I didn't realize that Vista was so poorly designed that it required it's own power supply!!
    Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
    - Thomas Paine

Vista sure is heavy, that's a fact. It takes a lot of power too.

Sorry, never heard of a Vista PS, we're just having fun here

If it's a linear supply, the schematic is probably pretty straight forward. You could probably draw it out on a piece of paper – a switch, fuse, transformer, rectifier, capacitor(s) and probably some regulation. The Astron supplies have published schematics and they are pretty standard in their design – good place to start.

Now if it’s a switched, you’re going to need a schematic!

Steve
    KV6O
    Signature line removed for your viewing pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by WB7DIE View Post
    I picked up a Vista power supply model XXX-R and can not find a reference to it on any web-site. It appears well made, heavy and is well regulated. Sure would like to locate a schematic or owners manual. Any one have an idea?? Thanks, Gary. (WB7DIE)
    My friend, what sort of power supply you are refering to?

Vista power supply ??? ( what is the rating of this power supply please ) ?

73 my friend

Sorry I cannot help with a manual but I can tell you that I ran a Vista XXX-R power supply as a bench supply in the shop for many years and it was very good. It was well regulated and rated at 30 amps output which if I remember correctly was ICAS with a continous rating of 24 amps. Strange that I can find nothing on the net about it but with Bill Gates calling his latest version Vista the search engines are cluttered with computer related stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by VE1IDX View Post
    I ran a Vista XXX-R power supply as a bench supply in the shop for many years
    Y'know, with a model "number" like that, I'm not surprised that it's difficult to find any related info on the 'net... The number of unrelated "matches" must be absolutely staggering.
    [LEFT][URL]http://kg6ytz.tripod.com/index.html[/URL][/LEFT]

[I]"...and the greatest of men would be silly and lazy,[/I]
    [LEFT][I]so I would be king, if the world was crazy"[/I][/LEFT]
    [LEFT]--- Shel Silverstein[/LEFT]

Vista was a "brand name" for linear power supplies directed to the automotive/hobbyist market -- a few years ago. I have not seen "new models" for several years. Unless someone has a schematic diagram, you will have to use "reverse engineering" and available Astron schematics to help you determine "what is inside". The number of pass transistors on the heat sink is a good indicator of current capacity (amps) for the supply.
    I would highly suggest starting with Dave Metz's (WA0AUQ) article on the subject:
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/astr...on-article.pdf

Linear power supplies feature a large (heavy) transformer, bridge rectifier, a series of electrolytic capacitors (or a large cylinderical capacitor), an IC regulator [such as the LM723] and NPN pass transistors (2N3771, 2N3055, etc.) on an external heat sink.
    December 2005 QST article on linear power supplies:
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/astr...y-analysis.pdf

These are relatively easy to repair and restore with an inexpensive DVM/VOM and some workbench time for proper troubleshooting. "shotgun" component replacement can get expensive and is often "overkill".

START with the Repeater Builders Technical web page that is focused on linear power supply (Astron) construction and repair.
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/astr...ron-index.html

w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 03-27-2008 at 03:54 PM.

I found this link on Google

http://www.bomarc.org/catalogs/Catalog-upload/POWER.txt

This company claims to have a schematic.

Hope this helps.

Allen Cope
    AE5FD

I just picked up a Vista XX-R which is a 20 amp supply. Puts out 13.8 volts just fine but has AC hum on a transmitted signal. I opened it up and some mods have been done so if anyone comes up with a schematice it would be very helpful.
    Bill NZ0T

I have the same power supply, did you ever find a schematic on the net?

Quote Originally Posted by WB7DIE View Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast