ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-innov

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Kenwood TM-V71A

Does anyone have any experence with this radio, I'm looking for my first radio, this looks like it has the ability to do a lot.
    KD0DKI Sam

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Default Tm-v71a

Hi Sam,

I am about to buy one of these radios tomorrow. If no one has responded to you since you posted this I will give a detailed review for you tomorrow.

Chris, W2ALQ

Arrow eHam reviews

Quote Originally Posted by KD0DKI View Post
    Does anyone have any experence with this radio, I'm looking for my first radio, this looks like it has the ability to do a lot.
    Click on link for reviews > http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6712

I have had one for several months and I love it. It is easy to program and operate, has a lot of good features and I highly recommend it.
    David
    N8MME

10-10# 62842
    SKCC# 3414

Thumbs up great radio!

I bought one a few weeks ago, and love it. Very versatile, easy to read display, and much more resistant to intermod than my Icom 706MK2G. Also doesnt get anywhere near as hot as my 706MK2G!

Only real drawback I have found is the built-in speaker is kind of tinny sounding, doesnt get very loud, and tends to sound distorted when audio level is turned up. Hook it up to a decent external speaker, though, and it sounds great!

AM aircraft reception is also very good, and cross band repeat works great. All the problems the D700 had with those 2 features (muddy audioon AM, excessive deviation in cross band rpt mode) have been corrected in the V71and work great. Works pretty well as a scanner too, although sensitivity above 500Mhz can be pretty deaf.

I would strongly recommend getting the PC programming cable- makes it so much easier to program the radio. Also will make it easy to restore memory and menu settings if anything ever gets accidentally deleted.

73, de Tom, KA1MDA
    www.ka1mda.org

I'll also give a thumbs up on this radio.

I've had mine a little over a month, and it performs great.

Yeah I have one day experience with this radio! I am new to ham radio and as such wanted to go with an ht.

My friend/elmer loaned me his FT-60 yaesu and boy I learned fast that I wanted a mobile. So I looked at the yaesu. The FT- 7800 was a good price but I wanted more features. The 8800 is good but there are no backlit buttons and the volume control is hard to get down plus I like the aesthetics on my kenwood tmv-71a better. I am glad i went to HRO and got to play with them.

Anyways the kenwood is just as good as the yaesu 8800 and perhaps better. I like the two radios in one idea and love to scan, it works great. You can actually scan 2m and transmit in 2m etc., although I think the manual says that it will diminish receive capability. I don't care I use it to scan 440 and 2m at the same time, or scan 440 while I rag chew on 2m etc.

The radio is easy to use I was scanning and storing stuff within 40min. Today I found that an old digital camera with serial cable is the same things as the computer cable kenwood sells and so I have been playing with the computer program.

The backlit buttons are nice, the display has tons of levels of brightness, there are 10 banks of 100 memories (more than I will ever use). There are 5 different setting modes for the radio so different users or you can program and have the radio exactly the way you want it. X-band repeat works great too.

My audio and tx reports are good. I have a diamond nr-770HB (black but same as HA) antenna and love it over the FT-60 with a diamond 77 that my friend loaned me, I can hit all repeaters and hear simplex pretty far. Receive is great. It is on a mag mount in my shack on top of a file cabinet.

Can't really say much, its a standard dual band, with 50 watts on both bands!

Any q's just ask. I might post some pics, but have to find the cable for the new camera lol at least its usb, right now I got an old comp jerry rigged in the shack, I might have to go out and buy a usb to serial adapter.

73s

Paul
    KE7VOQ

Note water and electronics don't mix! I have since put the drink on the other side of desk on a tupperware lid coaster. Also paper and surge protectors don't work. I have since moved that as well. The desk was just messy as I was getting the shack all set up.

Last edited by KE7VOQ; 09-07-2008 at 11:54 PM. Reason: picture

8. Default Owned for 9 months

I got my TMV71A for Christmas in 2007. Santa was very good to me

I was just getting back into Ham Radio after not using it for about 10 years. This radio was supposed to go in my truck, so I would have something good to use on the road. It didn't make it that far

This radio is my every day radio that I use on my computer desk.
    The radio wasn't as easy to program up as I was hoping, but the computer software that is a FREE download was a big help. Also, the ability to homebrew your own computer cable was a big help as well....

There were a few firmware upgrades since I've purchased this radio... make sure you check Kenwood's website for the updates.

I too have noticed that the internal speaker does a poor job with loud audio. I hooked up a speaker from an old Nokia Car Kit from my now useless TDMA phone. Again - another freebie (its already paid for itself when using the old car kit)

This radio has enough memories for me to program ALL the repeaters and simplex freqs in the Long Island and NYC area (even the 220 Mhz freqs to Rx only) - as well as plenty of room for those out of band frequencies that we all like to keep an ear on while driving. (UHF-T)

Kenwood did a good job in allowing you to daisy chain banks together to make one giant scan list. The radio allows you to scan all memories, banks, or lists depending on the buttons pressed / mode you are in. I find this good becasue I can scan all the repeaters in a county, or two counties if I would like. I can scan two different banks in A and B side of the display too!

Go for this radio - You won't be let down!

I have that one , its real good , works great signal fine, its a duelbander, i forogt how mnay watts i know it senough thou nuttin over, it costed a good price but not to bad, i love it heck i have to have keenwoods or it aint a radio.
    Lifes short, dont worry bout the small stuff, let cops have it, do my thing go mad attack life. Ham Animal.:D

Default Great for newer vehicles

Recently sold my Chevy pickup truck and took over my wife's 07 Honda CRV after buying her a Honda FIT (I like my vehicles to last 150K miles and 12 years). Anyway, there is no easy way to mount any ham gear in these new all plastic, curved surfaces. After reading about the TM-V71A, I realized I could mount the control head on the front of the center console with it facing up. It comes with a special mount for the control head that uses a neat type of tape which holds well and can eventually be removed. I bought the optional cables for programming it with my desktop computer and it came with a four foot extension for the control head. The microphone extension cable requiring an ordinary CAT-5 cable needs a female connection block and plugs into the main unit which is hidden under the drivers seat and am using the special 12 vold outlet in the center console so that the radio turns off without the ignition key on. The unique thing about the control head is it can be turned upside down if desired for special mounting. It has 3 power settings 5, 10 and 40 watts. I bought the optional voice unit that is easily installed and it will announce any changes I make while driving without having to glance at the display and it announces what channel you are on etc when you start the engine. I did try out the Echolink thing which is not my bag and just to see how it worked, I tried the Crossband repeat mode which can certainly come in handy in certain situations. The mobile antenna is an inexpensive dual band and a magnetic mount with the RG-58 fed through the weather stripping on the rear door since I didn't want to mess around making holes. Am very pleased wth the radio and if parking somewhere such as near a city, I can quickly remove the control head from it's receptor and the mag antenna so they won't walk away. By the way, I also like the weather feature and being able to tune all the way to 1300 MHz to listen to public service. You can also listen to two different stations on the same band or two bands if you like. The cell phone band is blocked but was told there is a mod for that on the web.
    Last edited by k3roj; 11-22-2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Spellling---hi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast