ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Heil

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Programming the VX-7R

Hello everyone!

I am a brand-new Ham and have a radio programming question...

I picked up a Yaesu VX-7R as my first radio. The manual for it is not as bad as I expected... I can follow along and figure out HOW to program it, but I'm not sure how I should organize things.

There are so many memory options, such as the Standard Memory Channels, the One-Touch Memory Channels, the PMS Memory Channels, Memory Groups, Home Channels, etc. I'm not real sure how I should organize things.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me!

Andy

Hi Andy - I had a Yaesu VX-7R - I had a tough time getting the clock set

I wouldn't worry so much about how to organize things just yet. It will really depend on how you use the radio. For my handhelds, I tend to program the local repeater I'm most likely to use in the call (home) channel and the first standard memory channel, then the rest tend to fall into place as I use them. Every so often I'd change things around depending on what repeaters I was using.

73 de Joseph Durnal NE3R
    Joseph Durnal - [callsign]NE3R[/callsign] ex N3PAQ
    [URL="http://cryptojoe.blogspot.com"]http://cryptojoe.blogspot.com[/URL]

Default Get the software

I have the ft-60 myself and I can tell you one thing to make things easy for you. Buy the programming software and cable for your computer. That makes everything so much easier. Also you can have a backup of all the frequencies on your PC if you have to do a reset or anything.

The one you need is ADMS-1G available at RT Systems

Your local ham shop or e-bay are also good places to look.

The cables connect to a serial port, so if you do not have one, you will need an adapter that does usb to serial

Default Can't Use Computer

Hello!

Unfortunately, I can't use my computer to program my radio... I use a REAL computer (a Mac) for which they apparently don't make software that will program the radio.

Nice thought, though.

Andy

I use a REAL computer (a Mac) for which they apparently don't make software that will program the radio.
    It must be cool to have a computer that you can't run a lot of common software on!!

First off don't be afraid to reset and start over if you don't like the way your VX-7R is programmed, just keep all the important info recorded. Here is how I have mine programmed for organization please excuse me if I use the word channel:

1: 146.520, this is the default dual watch location
    2-19 Local Repeaters*
    20-39 Common Simplex frequencies* (except 1.25 meters as my antenna does not support it)
    40-49 Open
    50-59 Space* (satellites, ISS ect.)
    60-200 Open
    200-229 EMCOMM Simplex*
    230+ Open
    OTM1 146.520 Simplex
    OTM2 147.120 Repeater (EMCOMM)
    OTM3 147.090 Repeater (I may replace it 147.225 for EMCOMM)
    OTM4+ Open

*Not all locations used

Default Thank You!

Thanks to everyone for your input!

K7MH - touche! Yes, sometimes owning a Mac is "different", but I never get the dreaded Blue Screen Of Death!

73 to everyone!

Andy

Hey Andy,

Did you ever figure out how to program with the Mac? In the past, I programmed my 7800 with the Mac using Parallels to run XP, but all that is in storage and I recently got a VX-7R. It came with software and a cable, but I can't get my computer to pretend it as a com port the way I could for the 7800... any tips or ideas?

Thanks!

K7LIL