ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl

Contribute
to QRZ

Question KLM Kt 34 10/15/20 meter beam

Hi
    I've been doing a lot of posting to the Qrz forums Q n A as i am off sick from work had to have carpel tunnel surgery...
    any how
    I have a KLM KT 34 tri band beam, i was halfway thru installing the tower
    for obverse reasons (as per above) i had to stop all work

the KLM 34 is in the back yard of our qth, all 4 elements are together in place but Not attach to the boom, there are two things that concern me for taking the beam elements apart

Pulling the elements apart for cleaning and to install new hardware.

1, what should i use to clean the beam elements, as the entire beam uses tubes that slide in to the main elements for tuning, there are NO traps on this KLM 34 and i don't want to scrape of the metal by sanding

2. how would one go about reconstructing the antenna back together and how to tune the antenna for each band (10m, 15m, 20 meters) for min swr
    and what to use to lube seal out the weather.
    we live in Florida and 75 to 80% of the time is is Sunny so woulds like UV lube and seal protection that are none conductive.

any words of wisdom?
    Last edited by K4EEZ; 03-05-2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: edit
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    we grow old Because We Stop Playing.
    Never Be The First To Get Old

Any System Is Only As Good As Its Weakest Component.
    Web Link:
    [URL]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K4EEZ/[/URL]

Well all the hardware should have been stainless steel when it was first assembled and it should have been assembled using conductive compound that came with it so the joints should be in pretty good shape. You could spend the rest of the next sunspot cycle cleaning it up all shiny and bright as there are 2 bazillion parts to the KT34A. All the measurements, and there are PLENTY, are pretty critical so you better have a complete manual for it. I would sooner put it up and see how it works before tearing it all apart and putting it back together again. I built one once, not doing it again!!
    But if you JUS GOTTA, use steel wool. Between the steel wool and all the hand screwdriver work, you may have to have more carpel tunnel surgery!!
    Last edited by K7MH; 03-05-2008 at 06:36 PM.

A ScotchBrite pad would work good for cleaning the oxidation off the aluminum, and not leave chards of steel wool to rust upon exposure to moisture.
    Politicians...Round em up...Drown them all and start over !

Mark:: On my KT34A I use a wool cloth to shine it up. Of course have no salt problem either here up north. Be sure and use a conductive compound when connecting the element tips into the element connected to the boom. Most of the hardware is stainless steel or aluminum. The important thing is be sure your specifications are according to the manual.
    Curt

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by KC7UP View Post
    Mark:: On my KT34A I use a wool cloth to shine it up. Of course have no salt problem either here up north. Be sure and use a conductive compound when connecting the element tips into the element connected to the boom. Most of the hardware is stainless steel or aluminum. The important thing is be sure your specifications are according to the manual.
    Curt
    __________________________________________________ ______________

Curt, always good to hear from you, hope all is well
    tnx for the advice guys
    very 7 3
    De K4eeZ

Web Link:

I used a bottle of Mother's Aluminum Cleaner on one of my beams. Check out the before and after results. Be prepared for lots of towels or rags if you go this route. Took me several hours to knock it out, but well worth it. It worked excellent for me, looks new or close to it..Oh, yes I will figure out how to put all pics in one link sooner or later..

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...Picture171.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...Picture173.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...Picture177.jpg
    Brad K5AR

Don't use any product that has steel in it (including steel wool) on aluminum. If you absolutely must something like steel wool then plain old sandpaper or emory cloth will do the job and will NOT leave steel filings stuck in the surface.

Glen, K9STH

I didn't think about the steel left behind. The scotchbrite pads would be better. I think any way you do it it is going to be a pretty tedious and messy job. I guess if it has been in heavy salt air location it would need to be cleaned up some. Around here it is not a problem.

Do you need a copy of the manual?
    If you are rebuilding this, there are several updates that M2 offers for this antenna. If you don't have the blue capacitor caps, they are the most important upgrade to do imho.
    GL with your carpal tunnel surgery, been there, done that.

Tom

Thumbs up

hey guys

just to let you know the carpal tunnel surgery went fine, had the stitches taken out yesterday still kinda very sore ...

but i can use it to an extent and no tingly feeling in fingers
    now i just got to have the other hand taken care off too
    but if its going to be tingle free i am all about it

tnx for the GL and all the info...

Web Link:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast