ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec

Cool Secret 700MHz Digital Police band for Radioshack PRO-96

I was messing with my Radioshack Pro-96 scanner today and found out that it's capable of working in the new 700 MHz digital police band! On the back of the scanner, there is a list of bands... Take a look at where the 800 MHz band starts "406 - 512 and 806 - 960 MHz" (says nothing about 700MHz). Type 770.0 MHz into your scanner and it works! I can now listen to my local police around the 797 MHz area.

I also found that you can go lower than 25 MHz! Just type 24.0 into the scanner and your able to receive the 12 meter ham band!

My scanner was not modified in any way. I bought it new about a year ago and it has been updated to the the 1.4 DSP firmware. I'm starting to think it might have had something to do with the firmware update, because it was never able to work in these bands before the update.

73, Alex
    Last edited by kd8bvs; 02-17-2008 at 05:38 AM.

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

My new Uniden BCD396, similar to the PRO-96, lists 700 coverage, but when automatically scanning the "Public Safety" group it skips 700. Don't think it is used here anyway.

Mine seems to pick up all sides of trunked conversations without going thru the complicated setup for trunking that is called for in the manual. Dunno why.

Maye Fred could set up a forum for scanning?'

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Quote Originally Posted by K8ERV View Post
    My new Uniden BCD396, similar to the PRO-96, lists 700 coverage, but when automatically scanning the "Public Safety" group it skips 700. Don't think it is used here anyway.
    TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
    I'm going to have to try this 'trick' with my PRO2096 and see what I get (it's running the newest firmware as well.)

Of course, my R7000s have been capable of covering this band for years. What they DON'T do very well is fast scanning; their synthesizer lock times are a good bit longer than today's 'scanner' receivers.
    The AR15/M16 - Irritating practically everyone since 1960...

Default 700MHz

I was never even aware that my local police used 700MHz. They have three frequencies in the 790 MHz area, and five frequencies on 800 MHz. I guess maybe it's a hybrid system??? Maybe they plan to completely move down to 700 MHz in the near future???

Using Starrsoft software, the PRO-96 can be "opened up" to receive frequencies outside its design range, including the 700MHz public safety band. Just be aware that the sensitivity drops off somewhat on frequencies outside its design range, and that it will not Trunk Track in the 700MHz band.

Default trunk

Mine does trunk tracking on 700MHz...

Exclamation 700 Guard Band

I also heard a rumor that Celluar may take a stab at 700 Mhz.

http://gigaom.com/2007/03/14/700mhz-explained/

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=105052

http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/def..._summary&id=73

heres some links that has their opinions and the official FCC post .

ENJOY
    http://ab8ru4.wix.com/mark-a-holman-1 **My New Web site, FREE!!

Quote Originally Posted by K8ERV View Post
    Mine seems to pick up all sides of trunked conversations without going thru the complicated setup for trunking that is called for in the manual. Dunno why.
    I can do this with my non-trunking PRO-60, you can listen to all the channels in a trunked system just like regular channels and still hear what's going on. And in the systems I listen to, they only rarely "hops" frequencies so I can hear the whole conversation.

However, on some - like the primary one I use, the state's DPS system - there are dozens of agencies using the same set of frequencies and without the talkgroup tags that would be displayed by a trunking scanner I'm easily lost on just who is who. Worse, the local EMS went to the system and encrypted everything. So now, half (or more!) of the transmissions are just digital noise. Now, that's fun to listen to...

And if the system is busy, it's entirely possible for someone with one agency to unkey and the frequency gets allocated to someone with another agency. Further traffic from the original person/agency will pop up elsewhere on the TRS and I have to either hit scan repeatedly to hop between the various active transmissions to find it or just settle for getting snippets of everyone...

On my trunking scanner, not only will it stick with a particular talkgroup, hopping frequencies if necessary, I can also program in talkgroups as well and lock out the ones I don't want to hear (or alternatively only program the ones I do want to hear).

But as you mention, it can be a lot of work to get done! Most people I know that scan a lot use software to program their scanners - most even import the necessary info into the software from the Radio Reference website database. (Which requires a subscription for that functionality.)