ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

Question Weller Replacment Tips

Good Day All!

I have a Weller WCTCP soldering station that a fellow ham gave me, however it doesn't have a tip, looking at the manual it states that the "default" tip is the PTA7 1.) can someone suggest a place to buy replacement tips, I found a few, but they charge outrageous amounts for shipping 2.) can you recommend some other replacement tips besides the PTA7. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Steven

Hi Steven,

I have a pair of WTCPN's and use the PTA and PTL. The PTA is short with a pointed tip and the PTL is long with a pointed tip. The PTA-7 is a chisel-tip. All depends on your preference I suppose. I've used the PTA primarily for about 20 years now and have been satisfied with the results.

Got any local hamfests coming up? Sometimes there is a vendor that sells soldering stations and all of the extras that are needed.

Wayne

Lightbulb Outrageous?

Quote Originally Posted by K8PEZ View Post
    ...suggest a place to buy replacement tips, I found a few, but they charge outrageous amounts for shipping...
    Steven,
    I don't know what you consider "outrageous", but Mouser Electronics (http://www.mouser.com/) lists PTA7 tips in their inventory and the shipping from them to your QTH for a 1 lb pkg by FEDEX Ground is $6.39. You could probably get a couple of spare tips into a 1 lb pkg.

[B]73 de W2KG Tom[/B]

[I][B][COLOR="Blue"]Proudly generating TVI for over 30 happy years![/COLOR] [SIZE="1"](Antiquity is no guarantee of quality.)[/SIZE] [/B][/I]

You can get the tips from Mouser, they run around 5 to 6 bucks. The problem, as you have already alluded to is the shipping is also 5 or 6 bucks.

I guess there are not any electronics stores in your area. I guess you could check some of the home improvement stores on the chance they might sell Weller irons, although they may not carry replacement tips. Weller irons are very popular.

I have a WP60 which can also use the PTA-7 tip. For many of the different soldering jobs I do I have acquired different size tips for my iron. If you buy more than one tip from Mouser then the shipping doesn't look so bad. (Mouser has no minimum order)

73, and good luck

Frank
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

I'm surprised that Greg W9GB hasn't chipped in yet. I'm sure he will be along. He repairs all sorts of soldering stations and will be able to recommend some good sources for tips, cords, etc.

Go with Mouser if you only need the tips, and go with Greg if you need some repair/refurbishment work done on your soldering station.

73, Jim

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input, I have searched for local shops in my area, I did find this place, http://www.bursma.com/contact.asp but not sure if they actually have a store you can goto to pick up the part, or if they just ship from their locations. I will also give mouser another look.

Smile Weller Tips

Check ACE hardware, Ace is the place! // John
    Member of OFWA, APCO, ARRL, and Escapees.
    FCC Commercial GROL holder

Be sure to check Radio Shack. They used to sell all kinds of solderig tips. I recall they had some for Weller.

Thumbs up

I have a WP60 which can also use the PTA-7 tip. For many of the different soldering jobs I do I have acquired different size tips for my iron. If you buy more than one tip from Mouser then the shipping doesn't look so bad. (Mouser has no minimum order)
    Frank -

You are suppose to use the proper "CT" series tip for the W60 and W100 series (Line voltage version of the Magnistat) -- and not the PT series which are shorter and less massive.

"CT5" for the W60 and "CT6" for the W100 irons
    http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/we...ips/cttips.htm

The issue here is size of tip and overall tip mass -- with a 60 or 100 watt iron versus the WTCPT iron 42 watts ...

eBay has been a GREAT source for inexpensive "CT" tips for the past few months!!
    ======
    Steven -

You need to find an electronics parts distrirbutor (radio/TV distrributors in the "olde days") in your area (Columbus/Dayton, OH).

All of these firms have a catalog or mail order business: Newark, Allied, Mouser, DigiKey, Stanley Tools, MCM/Tenma, Wasssco(CA), Action Electronics(CA), Tecra Tools (Denver, CO), HBF Electronics (Philadelphia), Seattle Tool and Solder Supply (Lynnwood, WA), Tessco, Test Equipment Depot (MA), HMC Electronics (Canton, MA), Lashen Electronics (Denville, New Jersey), Sacramento Electronic Supply (CA), or Tri State Electronics (Mt. Prospect, IL).

$20 minimum order - at Test Equipment Depot - Weller Tips
    http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/weller/tips/index.htm

Weller "PT" tips are $3.09 !!
    http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/we...ips/pttips.htm

You also have a very good electronics distributor (Weller) in the Dayton area (much of staff is associated with the annual Hamvention) -- can't remember the store's name -- BUT they do have a COUNTER SERVICE!!

Why don't you use that cellular/mobile phone and call them!!!

Bursma Electronics
    1158 Corrugated Way
    Columbus OH 43201
    614-299-9040

The temperature control for the Weller "TCP" models is accomplished with the soldering tip and the magnetic switch inside the iron's handle (Curie effect - and original Carl Weller patent in 1958 "Magnistat")

For tips, the TCP-201 iron did come standard with the PTA-7 1/16" screwdriver profile tip - 700 degrees F

I would recommend the PTB-7 for connectors, terminals and boatanchor repair -- that additional mass with a 3/32" -- can make all the difference for faster and clearner soldering connections.

I prefer to stay with the screwdriver(chisel) or single flat tip profiles -- I have never been convinced that conical is really needed in a majority of the work/rework perfromed by amateur hobbyists!

Most of the Weller manuals are available at BAMA or BAMA mirror.
    http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/weller/

w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 02-12-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast