ad: M2Ant-1

MULTIPSK version 4.7 released

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

MULTIPSK version 4.7 released

Patrick Lindecker F6CTE has release a new version of the popular MULTIPSK data modes software.

He writes:

Hello to all Ham and SWL,

The new release of MULTIPSK (4.7) is on my Web site http://f6cte.free.fr/

The main mirror site is Earl's, N8KBR: http://multipsk.eqth.info/index.html
    (click on "United States Download Site #1").
    Another mirror site is Terry's:
    http://www.hamshack.co.uk/

Among other modifications:

ARQ [Automatic Repetition reQuest] FAE [Fast Acknowledged Exchange] in ALE and ALE400

- Improvement of the Outlook Express (or equivalent) outgoing mails handling,

- Automatic transfer of received ARQ FAE messages, to Internet addresses via Outlook Express e-mails (for licenced copies),

- Possibility to work in "Responder".

Patrick F6CTE

A description of ARQ FAE can be found at http://f1ult.free.fr/DIGIMODES/MULTIPSK/MIL-STD-188-141A_en.htm

Don't wait all week for the news!
    Amateur Radio News - updated daily - 365 days per year

Get our News Headlines for your Website:
    http://www.southgatearc.org/rss/index.htm

Send Us Your News Items:
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/your_news.htm

2. W8VHO

W8VHO Guest

ok ,but...

fine program, but who would'nt use HRD and DM780 over this!! Two great programs working together as one! For those who have rig controlled radio's highly suggest Ham Radio Deluxe.:)

3. WB8MKH

WB8MKH Ham Member QRZ Page

Those who use:
    ALE
    ALE 400
    Pactor
    Amtor
    Packet es APRS
    SSTV
    ASCII
    To name a few. Dont cut down a program you dont understand

WB8MKH

4. NF0A

NF0A Ham Member QRZ Page

Multi Psk

I use it occasionaly and it`s fine but a bit complicated at 1st but once you get the hang of it, it`s fun .:)

5. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I second that emotion. HRD is a fine program that integrates everything one would need and not just in the digital world either. MultiPSK (I have said it before) is way too busy, too many colors, steep learning curve and one of the most un-user friendly programs I have ever seen.

Sorry, MultiPSK works, but HRD wins hands down.

K2WH

6. KB9UMT

KB9UMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank You Patrick F6CTE

Patrick F6CTE,

If you are reading the mail here I just want to say thank you for all the time spent on your MuliPSK program...nice digital tool to have! Many thanks for that and all you do for Ham Radio.

Not every software application is for all and everyone but it sure is nice to have such talented Hams doing such neat things for the rest of us to use. I use many different digital software applications (some for different reasons) and this one sure has worked very well for our 30 Meter Digital SPOT page and for our 'Auto' Spotters to report 30 Meter Digital activity throughout the World:

http://www.projectsandparts.com/30m/

http://www.30meterdigital.org

de kb9umt Don

7. shortwave

shortwave QRZ Member

Does HRD not support sound card interfacing?

8. W5AOX

W5AOX Ham Member QRZ Page

I use both, but even DM780 does not have all the various modes contained in MultiPSK.
    I like MultiPSK in the RV-mobile for monitoring SSTV, APRS, automatic mode detection of unknown signals, etc. I prefer HRD for its more friendly rig-control. I find MultiPSK also has a more sensitive sound card decoder in packet and APRS mode. I'm a registered user of both systems and consider MultiPSK well worth the money.
    W5AOX

9. KA3HSW

KA3HSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a warning to those who use ALE: the use of automated periodic sounding by U.S. hams is likely illegal, as they appear to be illegal automatic beaconing below 28.200, illegal automatic control of a digital station, and prohibited one-way transmissions. The FCC is looking into this, and Propnet, right now.

Bonnie, KQ6XA, will tell you it's legal, but the initial response from Riley Hollingsworth is that it is NOT.

George, KA3HSW

10. W0TKX

W0TKX Ham Member QRZ Page

MultiPSK

Thanks Patrick! It's a good program for me...

Using HRD for most Ham QSO's, but I use MultiPSK for listening to odd modes.

The user interface is busy, and that's complicated for some. If you can beat up on a modern rig's menu and learn it, you'll find MultiPSK useful.

Keep an open mind and play, it grows on you, like an interesting French cheese. The messy interface goes with my messy shack... :eek:

11. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask yourself: Why is George KA3HSW posting bogus information about ALE?
    He isn't an ALE operator and obviously knows very little about it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  12. KA3HSW

A much better question is: Why is Bonnie calling my information "bogus," yet offering NOTHING to back up her claim?

Answer: Because she CAN'T!

You're the ONLY one who says it's bogus, Bonnie, and you've never ONCE provided one single credible argument to prove me wrong. As I have already pointed out elsewhere, Riley Hollingsworth has already indicated that his impression is that I am correct, and he has turned the matter over to the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau for a formal ruling. Let me remind you of the message that Riley sent to you on January 11 in response to your "Guide for ALE in ham radio FCC compliance" message:

"I think you should get a ruling from Wireless before going too far with this. It could be considered broadcasting, or a beacon. Enforcement would defer to the rules folks but I think it is not as clear as you see it right now.

>From: Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA [mailto:XXXXXXXXXX@hflink.net]
    >Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 10:57 AM
    >To: Riley Hollingsworth; XXXXXXXXXXXXXX@fcc.gov
    >Subject: Guide for ALE in ham radio FCC Compliance
    >
    >
    >
    >To: Bill Cross, FCC
    >To: Riley Hollingsworth, FCC
    >From: Bonnie Crystal, Amateur Radio Operator KQ6XA
    >Date: 11 January 2008
    >Subject: Resources and Guide for USA ham radio ALE operator FCC compliance
    >
    >
    >Dear Mr. Hollingsworth and Mr. Cross,
    >
    >
    >The organization I founded, HFLINK, provides informational resources for ALE Automatic Link Establishment on the web at http://hflink.com
    >
    >
    >Since 2001, Amateur Radio Operators have been using FedStd-1045 ALE in the Amateur Radio Service in an organized manner. Most recently, with the dramatic cost >reduction of embedded ALE transceivers and more ALE software available, more hams are using it every day and ALE activity has increased widely.
    >
    >
    >Some hams who are just recently becoming aware of ALE, have questions (and some misunderstandings) about ALE and how ham radio operators using ALE are >complying with FCC rules. I am writing to help clarify and inform about the way that ALE has evolved to be compatible with good amateur practice, and to provide you >with a copy of HFLINK's ham radio ALE operator's guide to FCC compliance (attached below).
    >
    blah, blah, blah..."

Did you forget about that, or did you not know that Riley cc'd me on it, so you thought you could pretend it didn't exist?

It certainly seems to validate MY position, and NOT yours...

I'd say that your ridiculous claim that an ALE sounding is a two-way communication is more deserving of the label "bogus", especially in light of the Department of Defense MIL STD-188-141B document posted on YOUR OWN WEBSITE that clearly states that a sounding is a one-way transmission, and not a two-way, interactive event. Also bogus is your claim that soundings are not beacons.

But let's allow the readers to decide for themselves whose information is bogus...

The rules are quite clear:

97.3(a)(9) "Beacon. An amateur station transmitting communications for the purposes of observation of propagation and reception or other related experimental activites." I defy you to explain how an ALE sounding, which your own website and the MIL STD-188-141B document both state is used to establish a "link quality analysis", is NOT a beacon.

97.113(b) "An amateur station shall not engage in any form of broadcasting, nor may an amateur station transmit one-way communications except as specifically provided in these rules..." 97.111(b) lists the permissible forms of one-way communications, other than beaconing, and ALE soundings do NOT meet the definition of ANY of them.

97.203(d) "A beacon may be automatically controlled while it is transmitting on the 28.20 - 28.30 MHz, 50.06 - 50.08 MHz..." Automatic beaconing is NOT permitted below 28.200. PERIOD.

PROVE me wrong, or shut up.

You're just making yourself look more ridiculous with each post.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  13. AD7LL

AD7LL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

well you got it part right. "automatic" beacons are not allowed below 10m.
    Also, while you seem quite sure that ALE and propnet are beacons, propnet anyways( im not familar with ALE) is actually a very responsive system that is constantly self reporting, as well as includes qso alarms and such for full, instant, 2-way communication.. it does NOT come under the strict definition of beacon, which is why that even after years of operation by propnet, Mr. Hollingsworth and the FCC has not ruled against it.. As far as auto-digi modes go in general:

97.221 Automatically controlled digital station.
    (b) A station may be automatically controlled while transmitting a RTTY or data emission on the 6 m or shorter wavelength bands, and on the 28.120-28.189 MHz, 24.925-24.930 MHz, 21.090-21.100 MHz, 18.105- 18.110 MHz, 14.0950-14.0995 MHz, 14.1005-14.112 MHz, 10.140-10.150 MHz, 7.100-7.105 MHz, or 3.585-3.600 MHz segments.

This CLEARLY shows an allowance for auto-digi stations below 10m. you seem to be pretty selective about which sections you quote. You are certainly trying very hard to spin it your way.
    so until the FCC decides to clarify their definition of a beacon, these modes are very much allowed. unless or until that changes, just get over it.

I bet you cried like this when they dropped the code to.
    Half of what ham radio is about is furthering the hobby, developing new modes, methods etc.
    Don't get me wrong, I dont really care for bonnie with the regulation by bandwith, nor do I care for the wide-bandwith modes. they are not efficent, and in case of winlink, too expensive for most, to do what we can with cell-phones and the internet.
    But, still, we should move forward.

14. KA3HSW

First off, the definition of a beacon in no way hinges on whether it is "responsive", "self-reporting", has alarms, or whatnot. The definition I quoted is THE Part 97 definition, in its entirety. A beacon is nothing more, or less, and there is no need for the FCC to "clarify" that definition. ALE soundings and PropNet "probes" both fit that definition.

I stand corrected on the auto-digi rule... I missed the word "on any other frequency authorized..." in 97.221(c). I wasn't being selective in my quoting, just presbyopic (having a hard time with small print due to being of a certain age...). My other points still stand on their own.

As I've already stated, Riley's initial response was that I am correct. The Wireless Telecommuncations Bureau will deliver a formal ruling soon. I've done my homework, and I have every reason to be confident in what that ruling will be.

Oh, and contrary to what Bonnie tried to imply in another forum, "innovation" and "experimentation" ("moving forward", as you called it) DON'T mean you get to bend or break the rules.

George, KA3HSW

PS - I didn't particularly care one way or the other about dropping the code... I never enjoyed it all that much, and really struggled to get to 13 WPM for my Advanced.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  15. W0TKX

W0TKX Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Hijack

Of the thread about the software... typical forum flames :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.