ad: portazero-1

SPAR Winter Field Day - Jan 26, 27

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC9ECI, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KC9ECI

KC9ECI Ham Member QRZ Page

SPAR, the Society for the Preservation of Amateur Radio is once again sponsoring Winter Field Day. This is the 2nd year for this growing event and many are sure to participate.

Dave, W3KM, author of the popular FREE logging program Genlog has added support for Winter Field Day in his logging software. Just download Genlog, install, and then download and install the current update file and you should be good to log.

Mike, N0EXE and I will be out in the deep woods of Wisconsin again this year on the air as W9IDX and looking forward to working as many of you as we can.

2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

706 in a bag with hamstick dipole. I'm ready!

3. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Will be taking the K2 to this place
    http://ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/crmo/main.php

There is a spot where you can string a wire between to large pinnacles (some technical scrambling required) for an awesome antenna setup.

73 m/4

4. KC9ECI

I purchased a Super Antennas MP-1 with the 80M coil and a tripod.  I also ordered the MFJ 12 foot telescoping antenna for it as per the suggestion of Ryan, N2RJ and a couple others. The primary reason is to use it in the upcoming ARRL International DX contest from a DX location, but I'll be field testing it in the WFD next week.  Don't know for sure what radio I'll use yet.  I'm actually thinking about taking the FT-101 out and going olde school.  I'm sure as I get closer to the actual event, I'll consider what a brute that thing is to lug around and take either the 703+ or the 706.

5. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

It's freaking middle of winter! I'll be in my shack, wood stove blazing.

6. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

And there is an exchange format for such luxurious environs: RST/1H/outside temperature. That will be me.
    [​IMG]

7. KC9ECI

I'll be RST/2I/Frozen

8. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be in for it a little as KC2ESD 1H in my toasty radio room.
    I brought Winter Field Day up at the club meetings and asked if they wanted to do WFD. They told me good luck, they don't what to freeze their butts off. [​IMG]

73 and good luck Rick KC2ESD

9. W5ALT

W5ALT Ham Member QRZ Page

I expect to be on the air as YV1/W5ALT. My dipole is down, so I'll try putting it back up on Saturday morning.

Walt, W5ALT

10. KN4DS

KN4DS Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to get the local guys involved, but no go...

One thing I heard from many was that it would be better to set the date further in advance... if it'll always be the 3rd full weekend of January, that'll work.

As it is, I'll operate from my shack. Possibly on generator power, we'll see.

11. W5ALT

W5ALT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dave,

Well, the WFD date was "officially" set in November, but the only dates under consideration were within 1-2 weeks of each other. The plan is to keep the same weekend each year - 3rd Saturday of January, but if there are conflicts with other major contests, it might slide a week.

Hope to work you!

Walt, W5ALT

12. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It must be COLD there in the Winter!!!

(only in Merida though.... [​IMG] )

13. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Ham Member QRZ Page

599 FROZEN !

14. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Minus five nine nine frigid

Someone at the club asked about a winter operation. I explained about SPAR's WFD. However, as the temperature plunged toward zero, so did the enthusiasm.

Ed

15. N8ZA

N8ZA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings From Michigan, The USECA Amateur Radio Club
    Can’t wait for WFD, we will be using the call K8UO. We will
    Be operating from Camp Ozanam north of Lexington MI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.