ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG

SPAR, the Society for the Preservation of Amateur Radio is once again sponsoring Winter Field Day. This is the 2nd year for this growing event and many are sure to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]SPAR Announces Winter Field Day 2008

Field Day is perhaps the most popular of the many activities enjoyed by Amateurs. Every June the bands come alive with improvised signals proving the ability to respond to emergencies. The event also offers an opportunity for camaraderie and a chance to test ourselves in less than ideal circumstances, however, emergencies and natural disasters don't always happen in the summer. Winter winds, icy limbs and bitter cold replace the thunderstorms and blistering heat of summer. To test our abilities to operate in the winter, in 2007 SPAR established a Winter Field Day event and invited all Amateur Radio operators to participate. The event was enjoyed by many and considered a success. Therefore it is time to issue the invitation for the Second Annual SPAR Winter Field Day!

The 2008 Winter Field Day will be held from 1700 UCT (12:00 noon EST) Saturday January 26, 2008 through 1700 UCT (12:00 noon EST) Sunday January 27, 2008. The object of the event is familiar to most Amateur Radio operators: set up emergency-style communications and make as many contacts as possible during the 24 hour period. The rules encourage as many contacts on as many bands and modes as possible, because during a real emergency, the most important factor is the ability to communicate, regardless of band, mode or distance.

The official rules can be found at the SPAR website. The event is open to all amateurs, although we encourage everyone to join in the discussions and other activities sponsored by SPAR. Information about SPAR can be found on the SPAR home page. Membership is free and open to all amateurs who want to encourage technical and operating skills. You can register by going to the SPAR Forum and registering, using your amateur callsign as your user name.

Please join with SPAR in promoting amateur radio and keeping our bands alive!
    Dave, W3KM, author of the popular FREE logging program Genlog has added support for Winter Field Day in his logging software. Just download Genlog, install, and then download and install the current update file and you should be good to log.

Mike, N0EXE and I will be out in the deep woods of Wisconsin again this year on the air as W9IDX and looking forward to working as many of you as we can.

We've been smeckledorfed!

706 in a bag with hamstick dipole. I'm ready!
    KY5U - Be a REAL amateur, learn CW.

Will be taking the K2 to this place
    http://ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/crmo/main.php

There is a spot where you can string a wire between to large pinnacles (some technical scrambling required) for an awesome antenna setup.

73 m/4

I purchased a Super Antennas MP-1 with the 80M coil and a tripod. #I also ordered the MFJ 12 foot telescoping antenna for it as per the suggestion of Ryan, N2RJ and a couple others. The primary reason is to use it in the upcoming ARRL International DX contest from a DX location, but I'll be field testing it in the WFD next week. #Don't know for sure what radio I'll use yet. #I'm actually thinking about taking the FT-101 out and going olde school. #I'm sure as I get closer to the actual event, I'll consider what a brute that thing is to lug around and take either the 703+ or the 706.

It's freaking middle of winter! I'll be in my shack, wood stove blazing.
    73, Ron KR2D

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (n2jso @ Jan. 19 2008,15:09)]It's freaking middle of winter! #I'll be in my shack, wood stove blazing.
    And there is an exchange format for such luxurious environs: RST/1H/outside temperature. That will be me.
    Steve

If you have to worry about the cost of HF e-mail, you can't afford the boat.

CW: The mode that accomplishes the most with the least circuitry, the least spectrum, and the least power.

What hath God wrought?
    He hath wrought that pounding brass still kicks .- ... ...

I'll be RST/2I/Frozen

I'll be in for it a little as KC2ESD 1H in my toasty radio room.
    I brought Winter Field Day up at the club meetings and asked if they wanted to do WFD. They told me good luck, they don't what to freeze their butts off.

73 and good luck Rick KC2ESD
    God Bless America and her Troops.

Simplex Net Friday Night 7:30pm EDT (00:30UTC) on 146.560 Atlantic City area. -KC2ESD

I expect to be on the air as YV1/W5ALT. My dipole is down, so I'll try putting it back up on Saturday morning.

Walt, W5ALT
    Walt, W5ALT
    ARRL Life Member
    Member SPAR [URL="http://www.spar-hams.org"]www.spar-hams.org[/URL]

I tried to get the local guys involved, but no go...

One thing I heard from many was that it would be better to set the date further in advance... if it'll always be the 3rd full weekend of January, that'll work.

As it is, I'll operate from my shack. Possibly on generator power, we'll see.
    Dave, KN4DS

[URL="http://www.wa4ort.com/"]http://www.wa4ort.com[/URL]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast