ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov

As some new hams are passing their Amateur Extra exams this may be a good time to revisit the ARRL band plans. #The ARRL and other international entities have established special frequency "windows" that are set aside for special operation. #One such window is the 75 meter DX window that occupies a mere 10KHz #between 3.790 to 3.800MHz.

For years, a major problem with this DX window is that many operators feel its necessary to crowd the window; operating 1 to 3KHz from the DX window's edge. #Additionally, new operators are being heard rag chewing (and not IDing) within the DX window and are unaware of the DX stations on frequency. #This happened this morning as W5 stations occupied 3.790 for over an hour while UA0 and BY stations were heard calling DX.

Guys, this is not a witch hunt! #Let's all remember that we are able to stretch our legs to 3.600 MHz now...use this wide open space for ragchewing on 75/80 meters.

There are other established DX windows that we all should learn and respect...maybe some of these are new to you. #Pick your favorite band and monitor the DX window for the DX we all want to work and if we recognize these DX windows, our favorite bands will be better off for it.

Take a look at the following link that shows the ARRL band plan along with the DX window locations:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg.../bandplan.html

73's de AG6X

Wise counsel! Thanks for the gentle reminder (or as George Patton said, "No, just give me a swift kick in the a**". Operating courtesy prevents total anarchy and chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (AG6X @ Nov. 21 2007,10:17)]Additionally, new operators are being heard rag chewing (and not IDing) within the DX window ...
    Additionally, we have on ocassion (since about Feb of this year) newly minted Generals ragchewing on 3800 or 3801. Learn your priviledges and how SSB signals are generated, boys and girls.

I have also caught a couple of new Generals working DX well into in the window. Do any of these guys bother to learn where they're supposed to be?
    "If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

"He's dead, Jim. You take his Tricorder and I'll get his wallet."

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Angry

Quote[/b] (AG6X @ Nov. 21 2007,09:17)]There are other established DX windows that we all should learn and respect...maybe some of these are new to you. #Pick your favorite band and monitor the DX window for the DX we all want to work and if we recognize these DX windows, our favorite bands will be better off for it.

Take a look at the following link that shows the ARRL band plan along with the DX window locations:

73's de AG6X
    The ARRL list of DX windows only shows two for HF, one at 80 meters, and the RTTY / Data DX window for 40 meters.

Where do they show the MF DX window for 160 meters ? #

Hell, the 160 meter DX window is even a question on the Extra written exam.

Having only a partial list of the DX windows is worse than having none at all. Anybody relying on the ARRL list will assume there is none for 160 meters.

If ARRL is going to provide such a list, they need to get their act together and do it right.

This is not meant as a bash against ARRL. I am a member.

How about some of Y'all providing a complete and correct list of HF / MF DX windows on this thread ? #As a relatively new ham, I am only aware of those two listed on the ARRL site and the one at 160 meters. Aren't there others ? # #
    73, Randy K5RCD south Texas
    ARRL VE

How about some of the other "specialty modes" RTTY, digital, SSTV? Here is the ARRL band plan as it stands, warts and all:

I'm listening, at the very moment I'm typing this, to a station calling "CQ" using SSB, EXACTLY on top of the 14.230 SSTV frequency as suggested in the ARRL band plan.

Maybe we should contact our representatives, and do some serious recommending!

73, Jim

Quote[/b] (AG3Y @ Nov. 21 2007,08:16)]How about some of the other "specialty modes" RTTY, digital, SSTV? Here is the ARRL band plan as it stands, warts and all:

I'm listening, at the very moment I'm typing this, to a station calling "CQ" using SSB, EXACTLY on top of the 14.230 SSTV frequency as suggested in the ARRL band plan.

Maybe we should contact our representatives, and do some serious recommending!
    Stuff that.

Break out the Wouff Hong and begin to apply it liberally.

A good starting point might be with a few selected WinLink PMBO operators...
    The AR15/M16 - Irritating practically everyone since 1960...

Regarding 160

Here's what CQ magazine says about the 160 Meter DX window when promoting their 160 contests:

"Intercontinental DX Window: 1830 to 1835 kHz should be left clear for DX stations for intercontinental QSOs in both contests. This is still voluntary but essential if the contest is to continue to attract rare DX as entries. USA, Canadian, and European stations should refrain from using the window for local contacts. Please stay away from the window edges, too. This is a gentlemanís contest and band, so letís help make intercontinental contacts happen".

If you review any contest rules for the big DX contests you'll find specifc verbaige pertaining to proper conduct in the resepective band's window. #Sadly, none of these rules of conduct were followed as MANY stateside stations polluted the 75M DX window during the latest sweepstakes contest.

Bottom line? #Here is what the IARU says about the INTERNATIONAL BANDPLAN that will take effect January 1st, 2008. #

http://www.iaru-r2.org/wp-cont....n-e.pdf

The IARU just opened the DX window on 75 to 3775 -3800...they have also added a LOT of DX windows to all of the bands...check it out!!!

[B]

51 Smirrells Road, Birmingham B28 0LA, UK.

Quote[/b] (AG6X @ Nov. 21 2007,10:39)]Bottom line? Here is what the IARU says about the INTERNATIONAL BANDPLAN that will take effect January 1st, 2008.
    If only!

That "International Bandplan" includes frequencies that I cannot legally transmit on:

1.80 to 1.81

3.80 to 4.00

7.20 to 7.30

On the other hand we have seven channels on 5 megs (by notice of variation to Advanced licensees only)

Brian G8ADD
    "Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky."

Is somebody using the SSB SSTV frequency ? If not, surely its available for anybody ? This is the same thinking as " this frequency has been used by the Dog bone Net for 50 years, just clear off ! Now !"

G0GQK

Quote[/b] (G0GQK @ Nov. 22 2007,19:40)]Is somebody using the SSB SSTV frequency ? If not, surely its available for anybody ? This is the same thinking as " this frequency has been used by the Dog bone Net for 50 years, just clear off ! Now !"

G0GQK
    These "CQ Contest" rants are often heard right on top of an SSTV picture already being sent. #

You can see in this first example that the SSB voice started about 15 seconds into the picture, and then went on through the rest of the frame.

And this second example shows how a carrier ( tuner-upper ) can completely blank out a picture already being transmitted, if the frequency is right

Note that the interference, in both cases, started AFTER the SSTV picture was already being transmitted. # A lot like MVL's examples of the WinLink lids !

73, Jim

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast