ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG

Can anyone tell me the proper element spacing for a 2 meter yegi antenna? I built one myself but the plans I used were for a 440 MHz yagi but I adjusted the element lengths to 2 meters but not the spacing.

Just as the element lengths were adjusted by a factor of ~3, so should the spacing. Try this aid:
    http://www.qrz.com/download/antennas/yagim311.zip
    73, Bob
    SPAR ( [url]http://www.spar-hams.org[/url] ) & ARRL

You will do what you want. #All the rest is just talk.

Element spacing, like element length, is measured in wavelengths; if you have not increased the spacing in the same way that you have increased the element lengths you have a problem.

Spacing is critical to performance; it affects pattern and feedpoint impedance.

Early Yagis had regular spacing of the order of 1/4 wavelength; modern design calls for log-taper spacing.

Google DL6WU and you will find this kind of information;

http://xe1mex.gq.nu/antenas/yagi.html

A copy of the ARRL Antenna Book or VHF/UHF Antenna Classics will help you.

I posted this a couple of days ago.

http://bfn.org/~bn589/antenna.html

If you didn't also scale element DIAMETER, you will also have to use different dimensions; if you used the same element material as specified for the 70 cm antenna, the elements will have to be slightly LONGER than if the are also scaled upward. (The elements don't all have to be the same diameter; many designs use a larger diameter driven element (DE) than for the parasitic elements. A "thicker" driven element will be usually provide a greater bandwidth than a thin element, but will also be slightly shorter. The use of larger diameter conductors for the driven element often leads to the DE being shorter than any of the other elements. Also, remember that because of "skin" effect, elements can be hollow tubing; they don't have to be solid material unless that's necessary for mechanical reasons or convenience.
    The ARRL Anrtenna book is a good reference, and you won't regret getting one. Hope the antenna works as well as you want. Good luck.

Go to the downloads section on this site and acquire the "YagiMax" suite. That program is very good to determine the characteristics of a yagi antenna. Also, the suite includes a program entitled "gamma" that will give the length of a gamma rod to match the antenna and for the value of the series capacitor.

I use YagiMax all the time to determine the measurements of yagi antennas and the values of the gamma match. A little over a week ago I helped a local design a 3-element 10 meter yagi for use at Field Day (yes, the band did open into this part of the country) using YagiMax. Although I was not at the Field Day operations I understand that the antenna worked very well.

Glen, K9STH

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ki4rdg @ June 30 2007,05:10)]Can anyone tell me the proper element spacing for a 2 meter yegi antenna? I built one myself but the plans I used were for a 440 MHz yagi but I adjusted the element lengths to 2 meters but not the spacing.
    It's "generally" (depends on design and optimization) .2 wavelengths between elements. This should get you in the ball park.
    Steve
    N3ATS

Get the antenna books, and READ.

Element spacing depends on several criteria:

Front to back ratio
    Gain
    Bandwidth

All of these interact, what is optimum for one is not necessarily optimum for all.

Do your homework, build the beam, and come back and tell all of us . . . then you'll become an Expert.

Gary WA7KKP

Well I removed 3 elements from the antenna. I used an online antenna calculater that told me that the correct spacing for 146 MHz was about 15" so because the boom I used was only 3 feet long I turned it into a 3 element but the antenna seems to be working better then before.

I was able to hit a repeater 25 miles away with a full quieting signal from the left side of the antenna with it in the basement (the repeater was to the NW and the antenna was pointing to SW).I'm able to hit a number of the local repeaters including some I never was able to get to before.

Well done; you have now entered the ranks of amateur experimenters.

Yagi performance is not measured by the number of elements; it's measured by boom length.

The assumption is that element spacing is correct.

So a "10-foot boom" yagi will not be as good as a "20-foot boom" one; it will still be pretty good, though.

You can pile eleventy-seven elements on a given boom length and all you will end up with is a bad antenna.

As I said earlier, about 1/4-wave spacing (closer to 0.2-wave as ATS said) is usual. It's still usual for short (in wavelengths, remember) yagis; the log spacing begins to make a difference in long (wavelength)-boom designs.

Thinking in wavelengths rather than feet/metres/cubits is essential to understanding antennas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast