ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov

I have just gotten a johnson kw matchbox,and don`t have a manuel for it. Does anyone have one,and or tell me if I need to bypass the relay inorder to use the unit? This is the big boy. Appreciate any help on this. W0LAV Charlie[B]

Charlie ... this is completely unAmerican ... you don't have a Manual..!! #For shame...!!

With all the stuff you have ... who'd a thunk it ..

Oh ... BAMA has a mirror site...

http://bama.edebris.com/download/joh...x/matchbox.pdf

This should take you to it ... it has both the high and low power units ... 11 pages of ... stuff..

With the relay active (115V on the coil, the receiver terminals open (such as opening up the receiver B+) during TX, the receiver antenna port is grounded, and the coax input terminal is connected to the input coil.

Keep in mind that this thing sort of took the place of the antenna relay in todays radios. #We used this thing in Okinawa in the early 60's with our S-1 line for the USAF Mars station, KR6AF/AI2AF. #If you cannot get it to download, let me know, I have it on PDF and will email it to you.. W7FG wants $12 for the manual, no option to download.

Bill, W0LPQ/9

You got a GREAT piece of gear that will feed 50 ohms into darned near anything at any legal power, in AM mode. Yep, that includes bed springs - just had to try it! I use mine on SSTV and RTTY.

The manual is good, but not great, and there's a real trick to tuning up with one, which the Man really doesn't explain. Just play with it at low power into a dummy load for a few minutes. But if you make a "log" or cheat sheet of the settings for various bands and sub bands, you can tune it up faster than an MFJ Tee network. If you get a chance, look inside the critter (yes I KNOW abut the 52 screws holding the cabinet together!!! ). The contacts on the band switch are about the size of pencil erasers and the coil is made out of Brass strip about 1/16th inch thick. (Didn't measure). The whole manual is only about 10-12 pages.

But even the little one will handle as much power as you can thow at it in SSB or cw!

Ham radio is something you DO and LEARN. NOT something you BUY!

LAV: if you cannot find one pm me with your email, i will not pay 15 buck's for a manual either, i have both matchbox manuals on file here,,,,, N9FE

WOW,
    What a bunch of cheapskates!!!

IEI is there a problem with wanting to help someone save money?

Two of us have the file on PDF and will email him if he cannot get it downloaded.

That is wanting to help.

Cheap ... whatever you say.

Bill, W0LPQ/9

IEI:

Ken, K4XL, has done a lot of work over the years making "boat anchor" manuals available for free with his Boat Anchor Manual Archives ("BAMA") site. Some of the manual copies are not that good while other copies are as close to "perfect" as possible. It all depends on the quality of the original manual and the person who did the scanning and upload to the site. Frankly, there is nothing wrong with referring people to either the orginal BAMA site or the mirror site (mirror site is generally better because there are 5 times the "download slots" available).

As for W7FG: I have provided a number of manuals to that organization for copying as well as numerous ones to BAMA. Actually, W7FG's manual copying is done by Kent Douglas, K9JCR, and his wife. Kent has been a friend of mine for almost 50 years going back to high school. There are a lot of manuals available from W7FG including solid-state equipment that K4XL does NOT put on BAMA. I have no "qualms" about recommending BAMA for the manuals that are available on that site and recommending W7FG for either better quality manuals if the one on BAMA is not that good or for manuals that are not on BAMA.

Being a firm believer in the principles of the conservation of my finances and energy (you can read "cheap and lazy" if you want to) I see nothing wrong at all in telling people where to find information at no cost.

Glen, K9STH

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (W5IEI @ June 08 2007,04:26)]WOW,
    What a bunch of cheapskates!!!
    Sorry,I left out "no sense of humor"

Glen: Yes the W7FG folk's are a very good bunch, I will pay for a "rare" manual, but not a matchbox manual, i think some "not W7FG" that are trying to make a buck on something as popular as the matchbox manual is just wrong.. N9FE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast