ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters

Looks like an new UK callsign, Full license means the same here as the extra over @ your side of the pond, fully licensed without CW exam taken since it was abolished.

cheers,

Cor
    Licensed since 1977

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (w7cmg @ July 25 2007,19:43)]What is a "full license holder"? #
    What country is that callsign from? (just curious - no info on QRZ)
    If you're going to be working DX when the bands finally open up, you should be familiar with THIS.

If you use the ARRL log book, you'll find this information 3 or 4 pages from the back.

You can find any number of web pages with the same information, and probably easier to use. This was one of the first ones I found using my friend, Mr. Google.

Semper ubi sub ubi. 73
    K7KBN CWO4 USNR Ret.

KI4TCB Guest

Quote[/b] (m3mts @ June 05 2007,15:25)]I have an old cobra 148 gtl dx,which i would like to convert to 10 meters (I am now a full license holder) :
    best to just sell the 148 on ebay and pick up a good shape to brand new HTX-10 for peanuts! i paid new in the box for one for only 61 bucks!! on ebay! and i love it for a nice 10 meter HF mobil. remember that radio shacks HF's are made by uniden so they are not to shabby at all. in do time try to look on this sight for a nice HF made by the top three or on ebay and eham.net

M3MTS

Hi, Converted the same radio the other way,from 10 back to 11

(pauses to don flameproof tighty-whities)

Very straight forward, Only one xtal to swap,bought mine from jan crystals. only problem was there seem to be about 3billion minor variations of the pcb,I had to piece together 2 or three different schematics.

Radiomods.co.nz #and eserviceinfo #were helpful

The radio will make 12w pep ssb and 4w am, dispite what the cb shop says.

was easy to make the tx clarifier follow the rx ,all my attempts to increase the range more than about +-500hz
    were unsatisfactory,never could get a nice tuning range.

Radio will need to be realigned #thru-out ,again a straightforward job,lots of info out there, IIRC mine was well under .5uv rx

Its a real nice radio, and you will be happy with the conversion, Good soldering!

73 Rege/AI3V

Edit: I used the following equipment for the alignment
    Dummy load
    wattmeter
    frequency counter(optoelectronics 2600?)
    signal generator (an/URM-25)
    20 mhz o-scope

nothing fancy,allmost anything you can get will work

Now my mistakes travel at the speed of light!:cool:

Quote[/b] (w7cmg @ July 25 2007,20:43)]
    Quote[/b] (m3mts @ June 05 2007,15:25)]I have an old cobra 148 gtl dx,which i would like to convert to 10 meters (I am now a full license holder) :
    What is a "full license holder"? #
    Callsign is a UK foundation license, its a kind of CB license that introduces newbie's to Experimenter/Ham radio I think?

I would assume he means he has now passed the other examinations when he says "I'm now a full license holder" and this is why he wishes to convert his cb as with his introduction callsign he would not have had the privileges to use 10m.

Quote[/b] (EI3GAB @ Aug. 17 2007,16:02)]
    Quote[/b] (w7cmg @ July 25 2007,20:43)]
    What is a "full license holder"? #
    Callsign is a UK foundation license, its a kind of CB license that introduces newbie's to Experimenter/Ham radio I think?

I would assume he means he has now passed the other examinations when he says "I'm now a full license holder" and this is why he wishes to convert his cb as with his introduction callsign he would not have had the privileges to use 10m.
    The foundation licence has nothing to do with CB,its the first grade licence in the UK Amateur radio structure.And you do have to do a introduction test on morse and pass a exam to get licence very similar to the USA Tech.The next step is a intermediate licence and lets you make homebrew,and lets you use more power 50watts.Then when you pass that, you can go for the final full licence.And foundation licence holders can use the HF,VHF,UHF in the allotted UK band plans but power is restricted to 10 watts.

The 148GTL has been around since about 1978 or so. its a dated design but it works and works well. I had a 148 GTL a few years ago and i wish i still had it. Yes, i DO still get on 11 meters now and then, Hi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2