ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl

OK, I may be missing the obvious, but:

I'm looking at the Field Day dupe sheets and am confused on how to fill them out. It just doesn't make sense to me looking at the blank form.

IMHO, dupe sheets are obsolete.

Quoting from the FD rules at http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2007/fd.html, part of your report must be:
    "8.3.2.1. An attached list of stations worked by band/mode during the Field Day period (dupe sheet or an alpha/numeric list sorted by band and mode);"

In this day of computer-assisted logging, it's a simple matter to get your logging program to produce a sorted list of stations worked for each band and mode (which can easily be scanned by eye for dupes).

If you do use a paper log, you would then have to (laboriously&#33 transcribe all the calls onto a dupe sheet, 26 columns (A-Z), 10 rows (1-0). Suppose you worked me (W3GER) twice on 20-meter CW. As you go through your 20-meter CW log, when you get to the first occurrence of my call you'd write it in the 3G box (my call area and the first letter of my suffix). The second time you get to it you'd see I'm already IN the 3G box, and that's how you'd know it was a dupe.

73 de W3GERry

You are supposed to fill out the dupe sheet as each contact is made, not later from a serial, sequenctial log after it's all over.
    That is supposed to save you the wasted time of working duplicate contacts in the heat of the contest.
    You should be able to quickly look up (or have a logger do it) calls to see if you should give them a call!
    I think a computerlog could have the dupe function but not familiar with them.
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

FD is a LOT more fun with a laptop or other computer running a logging program. I think there are some "Freeware" ones out there.

With the computer, it's doing all the dupe-checking for you, as you hear a call, you enter it adn the computer tells you RIGHT NOW if it's a dupe, if so, you backspace and start over!

You do NOT need a new, super-whiz-bang computer, either...

I remember the old days, where we had a 'logger' doing the paper work alongside an operator at each radio.... now, you can do it all yourself with the software and computer.
    The internet is to kooks as an empty building is to rats.

Seems easier to not complete and log the contact as soon as you realize it's a dupe.

Maybe I'm a dupe! d'oh!
    Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Savanna, Illinois, the west coast of Illinois that is.

Iím using a freeware contest logger called TR Contest Logger. I donít exactly have the newest laptop on the planet, it is a Compaq LTE 5380. It runs windows 98 special edition.

You can download it here:

http://www.oceaniadxcontest.com/software.htm

It will tell me if a contact is a dupe or not before I make the contact. Just type in the call and it tells you with an annoying blinking thing and even a beep noise if you enable it.

I rarely make dupes anymore since I have been using the software. Iím pretty sure the software makes the proper adjustments for me when it is printed out.

Its been pretty much since last year that I have even fired up the laptop, maybe I should do that and find the floppy drive before field day gets here.
    KA9VQF

Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.

ďThe only difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.Ē A. Einstein

last year I used the computer when we did search and pounce and we'd enter the call to see if it was good before calling the station. the computer made a noise and gave a big red warning when we duped...of course there was the time my partner entered the call wrong...and that came up as a dupe

Manual logs and dupe sheets are still very much in vogue for Field Day, because the very nature of FD is that a lot of operators take to remote hills, beaches, etc using minimalist equipment with no power available other than maybe a gel-cell or such. Using a "laptop" as a computer for such an operation might require having three or four spare, charged batteries on hand and many people don't have these. If the battery required to run the "rig" barely survives the 24 hour operation powering the station, it's not going to last if it also has to power a computer.

I've done some FDs where I've backpacked all the equipment to a mountaintop, climbing nearly 5000 feet vertically to get there and the only thing at the top was rocks. Not the kind of operation where you'd likely bring a computer along.

For such cases, a paper log and dupe sheet work great.

You do indeed fill in the dupe sheet as you go along, not later, to save time working dupes. The ARRL still provides paper dupe sheets which are about "D" sized paper (larger than log sheets), large enough to pencil in callsigns pretty easily.

If you work W1AW put write W1AW in the "1" row and the "A" column, so you can find it quickly. The you work NE6ZZ, filling in that callsign in the "6" row and the "Z" column. After you've done this a couple dozen times, it's second nature and goes very quickly. Not quite as fast as computer logging for a good typist, but it doesn't slow down the operation much. I've made 200 QSOs an hour using a manual log and dupe sheet.

Biggest challenge for field operations is keeping the log and dupe sheets dry! If you're operating in the field, keep that in mind, it's a real challenge..."dew" creates a mess if you're not careful.

WB2WIK/6
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Actually KF6RDN is on the right track. #I work all dupes and don't care if you're a dupe or not - until after the contest. #Dealing with the trouble of telling them they're a dupe takes MORE time than simply logging the contact and moving on. Plus, it allows you to recoup a QSO in case you or he blew the call the "first" time you worked.

Go back after the "contest" and rescore the log with dupes removed.

Even today, the advice of almost all major contesters is - WORK THE DUPE. #The only exception is during contests like Sweepstakes on CW and ONLY if you have a blazing run frequency going and working a dupe might cost you two other stations to go elsewhere.

-----> Take it to the system!

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (NN3W @ June 07 2007,11:49)]Even today, the advice of almost all major contesters is - WORK THE DUPE.
    I disagree, but that why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Most major contesters don't agree "Work the dupe!" unless working the dupe is faster than not working him. I'm a member of many contesting organizations and newsletters and think the majority agree with this.

In Field Day, "work the dupe!" takes more time than it would in a DX contest. DX contest exchange is 599 05 or 599 CA or something pretty short. FD exchange is much longer since it includes the operation category and ARRL Section. SS is another one with a long exchange. Usually faster to send W2ABC B4 73 than it is to send the exchange and wait for him to send his for the frequency to become clear again.

Plus, "work the dupe!" doesn't teach the errant operator anything. Pointing out the dupe does. If you're using computerized logging, pointing out the very precise error is pretty easy, and I do it all the time: "W1XYZ B4 0430 14029" gives him a lot of info, and the computer can send it in a few seconds. I use Writelog for Windows and the program will send all that info for me (the dupe info) while I'm listening on another receiver or something. Takes about as much time as working the dupe, but teaches something, so I think it's a very good trade-off.

I do subscribe to the "WFWL" theory, though!

(That's "work first, worry later!" when it comes to deliberating over whether a DX station is a SLIM or not, and stuff like that. Better to log a contact that might be real and then delete it later when you find out it isn't, then to possibly miss out on a new one.)

WB2WIK/6
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast