ad: k1jek

FCC to Host First Responders Summit

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0JAA, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N0JAA

N0JAA Ham Member QRZ Page

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
    March 2, 2007 Robert Kenny: (202) 418-2668
    Email: robert.kenny@fcc.gov  

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION TO HOST
    FIRST RESPONDERS SUMMIT, APRIL 20, 2007

Washington, D.C. – The Federal Communications Commission’s Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau (PSHSB) today announced that the bureau will host the First Responders Summit: Interoperable and Reliable Public Safety Communications on Friday, April 20, 2007, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M, in the Commission Meeting Room (TW-C305).

The summit will include expert panel discussions led by representatives from the public safety community, the communications industry and government. In addition, the summit will close with an open roundtable forum for participants to raise key issues related to emergency preparedness and response.

The agenda will include three expert panel discussions:
    Panel One: Government agencies and public safety initiatives;
    Panel Two: Transition from Legacy to Future Architectures - Integration of Current Systems into IP-based Networks, Radio Bridging; and
    Panel Three: Beyond Voice - Broadband Applications for First Responders.

An official summit agenda will be released by the PSHSB. The summit will be open to the public; however, admittance will be limited to the seating available. A live audiocast will be available at www.fcc.gov. Those individuals who are interested in attending the summit may pre-register by contacting Sue Gilgenbach at (202) 418-0639 or by e-mail: sue.gilgenbach@fcc.gov.

Sign language interpreters and open captioning will be provided for this event. Other reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities are available upon request.  Include a description of the accommodation you will need including as much detail as you can.  Also include a way we can contact you if we need more information.  Make your request as early as possible.  Last minute requests will be accepted, but may not be possible to fill.  Send an e-mail to fcc504@fcc.gov or call the Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau: For reasonable accommodations:  202-418-0530 (voice), 202-418-0432 (TTY).  

For additional information about the meeting, please contact Leon Jackler, Director of Public Safety Outreach and Coordination for PSHSB at (202) 418-0946 or by e-mail: leon.jackler@fcc.gov. Press inquiries should be directed to Robert Kenny.

-FCC-

2. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

It will be interesting to see where amateur radio fits into this. I have a guess, but my crystal ball is in the shop at the moment so I will wait until April 21st to find out for sure.

Scott NØIU

3. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

The SAFECOM project, under the Department of Homeland Security's Office for Interoperability and Compatibility (OIC), has addressed today's public safety communications and interoperability issues in-depth, and mentions amateur radio's potential roles. Download at:

http://www.safecomprogram.gov/SAFECOM....tof.htm

Amateur Radio Operators are not "first responders". At best, we are secondary/tertiary responders. Please all, don't think otherwise.

Unless you're trained law enforcement, fire fighters, or EMS, leave the telecommunications surrounding their efforts, to include responding with light-bars, to the professionals.

4. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Quick, learn the 10 codes. I think that there is a study manual for this!

5. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Given this administration's track record they'll ban scanners, ham radio transceivers, and make it a felony to posess a soldering iron.

6. WA5BEN

WA5BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

All codes are banned. Plain language is required. "10-50" can have about SIX different meanings, and the differences are HUGE -- even in adjacent jurisdictions.

(True) Example:
    10-50 = Minor accident in one county
    10-50 = Officer needs help in an adjacent county

7. WA5BEN

WA5BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, that depends upon the jurisdiction. Under our RACES program, we are designated as first responders. We carry ID and "go kits" -- and we abhor "blue and yellow lights". If you want to be a "pretend cop", we neither want you nor need you!

Be trained

Without training, you are worthless. You cannot join our program until you have minimum training, and you will be removed from our program if training is not maintained.

Be smart

Know when to act -- and when to stay out of the way.

Be prepared

The "go kit at home" is worthless. If you are not equipped RIGHT NOW, you are not prepared.

Be professional

We are a part of an Emergency Management response. We use our credentials responsibly, act professionally, and treat all others with respect. We are NOT the "bosses". We have no "authority". We are just the best durned communicators around (and we are known for our abilities).

Build your REPUTATION

It is far better to have a dozen TRAINED, SMART, PREPARED, PROFESSIONAL people than to have a hundred who only show up when something happens. The dozen trained people will BUILD your reputation. The hundred "thrill seekers" will GUARANTEE that your reputation is torn down.

I have been "first on scene" at three killer tornados. In all cases, I transmitted the request for state aid. In two cases, I supplied the link to the state and outside agencies in an EOC that lacked telephones.

Sidenote:

In one case, I was offered (and declined) delegated authority by the ranking city official. (We worked out that I would suggest, and he would accept or decline my idea.) He never declined -- but that arrangement kept it crystal clear to everyone that the AUTHORITY rested with him. I had EM experience and training to be helpful, but it was HIS city and HIS responsibility.

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KD4E

KD4E Ham Member QRZ Page

This knee-jerk hatemongering vs President Bush needs to become an
    official psychological diagnosis, it clearly is a sickness.

It is the new regime in Congress that has implemented policies to
    prevent equal access to debate by those who disagree and who are
    acting in ways that harm the nation.

Get off the propaganda pills and open your eyes. We need regime change in the Congress!

Meanwhile, technically the "first responder" is the first on scene, hopefully
    someone with the capacity to call for help from the "first professional
    responders" who then may choose to request assistance from others,
    including Ham volunteers as is appropriate.

73, doc KD4E (have served in all three roles)

10. W9WHE

W9WHE Ham Member QRZ Page

"Given this administration's track record they'll ban scanners, ham radio transceivers, and make it a felony to posess a soldering iron"

Another angry Bush-hating intollerant liberal.
    Now that liberals no longer have TOTAL MONOPOLISTIC CONTROL over the media and government, they can no longer squelch dissenting opinions. They can no longer make up evidence and get away with it. And that is making intollerant liberals wild with rage.  

Perhaps it IS time the DSM-V was updated to include AILS (Angry Intollerant Liberal Syndrome). Perhaps some people could benifit from "sensitivity", "diversity" and 'tollerance" training so that they will be sensitive to and tollerant of differing opinions.

11. KG4TEZ

KG4TEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got my go kit and it does not contain rope, flares, ladders, or radiation detectors.  I am not a wanna be.  I am an amateur (Professional) Communicator and that's what I do best.  

I do carry spare radio's, batteries, and an extra antenna.

Yes I am trained to assist but what I do best is communicate so that's where I'll utilize my skills so I don't give amateur radio a bad name.

12. N0JAA

N0JAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay guys, Fred posted this for me so that information could be passed and commented on. I didn't have it posted so you could bash each other. If you want to bash, go to another forum. Please let's keep this a legitimate, serious discussion. Thank you.

13. W9WHE

W9WHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you feel the need to "bash" us?
    We are 100% serrious. KD4E and I are VERY concerned about the health of our bretheren hams. Aren't you?

14. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Does that label me a wannabe cop or something because I carry a flashlight, rope, fire extinguisher and road flares in my vehicle?

Have you ever had a flat tire on the side of the road at night with cars whizzing by you only inches away at 70 mph? I don't think any radio go kit can help you out there. [​IMG]

This is not intended as a bash. It is just that such equipment stored in a persons vehicle is common sense and it has nothing to do with being a wannabe cop or even amateur radio communication for that matter.

I don't know how many times I have used simple items   like a fold up shovel or even a rope to get my vehicle out of a pinch.

I just hope no trained ham radio communicators slide off the road during a major snow storm and become stranded in 4 foot of snow or have a flat tire on the side of a dark highway in the middle of the night.

Sounds like some people would have no equipment on hand except for a radio go kit that would only serve to burden others to handle their own ill equipped situation.

I see people who are victims of their own doing all the time. No thanks, I'm not interested in becoming my own victim. Label me what you like but you won't be reading about how another trained ham radio communicator became yet another stranded motorists statistic scenario in the morning paper anytime soon. That's exactly the type of scenario that would only serve to shed an otherwise properly trained amateur radio communicator in a bad light. 

As far as the first responders summit is concerned, it seems evident that emergency radio communication is taken as a serious communication resource for the community. We can all work together to keep it that way in the future.

My hat is off to the many trained communicator volunteers like yourself who give up their own time for  training, preparing and providing the community with a valuable resource in time of need.  

15. AA1MN

AA1MN Ham Member QRZ Page

Not for nothing but it's already illegal to monitor cell phone frequencies in these here United States and that was passed through long before Papa Bush or Bush Lite came into being.

There are some states that reportedly currently have mobile scanning laws. That is, it's illegal to have a scanner in your vechile. If anyone has a list of the states having with such a ban I'd appreciate it.

Based on this, it couldn't be could it that the above quote is a case of misplaced anger over a certain president having finally admitted to waging a groundless war (Iraq) based upon bogus assertions (WMDs) and having brought down the wrong person (Saddam Heussein) instead of the right one (Osama bin Laden) coud it?

Naw, never ... why if we were to believe that then the next thing we'd be asked to believe is that one of our fearless leaders (Nixon) would engage in covert activities (wiretapping) and get impeached over it or that another one (Clinton) would engage in an adultorous affair with a White House assistant (Monica) and lie to his wife (Hillary) and the world and congress over it. Naw, never ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.