ad: Radclub22-1

Kenwood doesn't back up their radios again

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N9PAR, Jul 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N9PAR

N9PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone,
    I'm a little unhappy with Kenwood for their poor customer service.I bought a Kenwood TMV7A  from a buddy last year.The radio worked great for a while but then started to get lines in the display.I talked to alot of hams with the same prolbem I'm having with the radio.Kenwood will fix the radio free of charge if you bought it brand new.I understand that kenwood shouldn't cover prolbems with used radio usally but since there is such a huge prolbem they should just bite the bullet and admit they screwed up on the displays and fix them.They will fix the display for only $200 thats half of what the radio costed me.So I learned a lesson here. I'm done buying kenwood radios.So just a word of warning that kenwood really has no customer service.So judge for yourself.
                                N9PAR

2. W8QF

W8QF Guest

In my 30+ years in ham radio I have had more luck with Kenwood then any other radio.I have also had good luck with their service as well.Under normal circumstances I would say buy used buy someone elses problems.However if this is a established problem with the TM V7A I agree they should make it right.I personaly have had my TMV7A for 2 years and no problems.Dave AE8U

3. K9ROD

K9ROD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two TM-7v's - one I bought new and one I bought used. Both are still doing great after 1 year. With the used one, I don't expect the factory to cover any problems I have with it free. New is a different story. Big problem here is no recourse for a problem that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I recently purchased an antenna from Antenna Warehouse.....after one month in service it snapped in half. Found out this was a common problem. Company said "Too Bad". What can I do. Nothing short of a law suite that would cost money too. So, the root of the problem is business does not have to keep their word or worry about the customer....there is always another one around the corner. Too bad we can't go back to the days when your "word" ment something. Rod K9ROD

4. KB3GUT

KB3GUT QRZ Member

Are you telling me that Kenwood does not honor the warranty if you are not the original owner, or was this radio out of warranty?

--KB3GUT

5. AL4ST

AL4ST Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Kenwood TM 241-A that I am using mobile. About a year ago the display went crazy, looked like Chinese writing. Now the display is totally blank, no figures, backlight or anything. IF I ever buy another radio...after reading this...it probably wont be a Kenwood.

N4FBI

6. N8PDH

N8PDH Ham Member QRZ Page

The next time you buy a radio, buy an Icom ar Yaseu. I have not had a problem with either brand new or used.
    About 11 or 12 years ago, and old ham friend of mine told me to stay away from Kenwood becuse of customer service problems.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I have only owned one Kenwood in my life. It was a TH-21. The case cracked. When I showed it to a Kenwood rep at a HamCom in Dallas, he sent me two new cases in the mail. Free. I would like to add that this Kenwood rep was a Japanese engineer who did not speak English. I showed him the problem and he sent me not one, but two new cases. The problem is Kenwood USA. I have heard MANY complaints just like the one stipulated by the poster of this article. All the complaints were made by people who complained of exhorbitant and astronomically high repair costs. And all of the complaints were resolved by the owners of the radios themselves selling all Kenwood equipment and replacing it with ICOM and Yaesu. Good old American business! Just look at the stock market! As anyone can see, thje chicken have come to roost. Now it is time to clean up our OWN act! As far as my own experience over the past 19 years is concerned, I have always used ICOMs. So far no problems. I am completely satisfied with ICOM.
    -73 de Radioweenie-

8. N7BJB

N7BJB Ham Member QRZ Page

All I can say is I have three radios in use in my shack - an Icom HF, a Yaesu dual bander and a Kenwood dual bander. I also have a yaesu UHF in the mobile and a Radio Shack HT. I don't have any toruble with any of them. I guess trouble is at least partly a matter of personal luck. Incidentlally, I also have Heath equipment that I no longer use much - not up to date all mode equipment - that also gives me no trouble. Maybe I just hold my mouth the right way or something. Moral of the story is don't blame a brand because an individual unit or an individual model is a lemon - it happens. When you look for something new, consider everyones equipment before you choose.

9. KF4NI

KF4NI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,
    I too am unhappy with Kenwood service and their attitude toward their customers. I spent lots of money for their amateur products and when they needed repair I have found them to be very rude and not wanting to hear of the problem and then they charge excessive fees for work. After 20 years of Kenwood attitude etc...I decided to go to Yaesu and have found over the past 10 years they have superior products and I have not had to send in for repairs on HF (FT 1000D, FT 990ac) or VHF (FT 2200,2400, 2500, 8100, FT 470, VX-5r) radios and accessories I have. I know this seems unreal as from time to time everything breaks! I just like the Yaesu line for many reasons. I do hear horror stories about all manufactures but I believe Kenwood has the worst reputation. Just my 2 cents worth.

Ruby Byrd KF4NI

10. KB2KAB

KB2KAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Uhhhmmmmm! Let me see the facts here. You bought a second hand radio. And then after a while, the radio started to go south. Now you want the manufacturer to fix the radio for free! If they did that then they would not be in business for long. Not saying that you broke it but lets face facts, no company honors any kind of waranty to second owners. Once the product has left the orignal owners hands, the waranty becomes NULL and VOID. SHOW ME A COMPANY THAT WARANTIES THIER PRODUCT AFTER THE ORIGNAL OWER EITHER SELLS OR GIVE THAT PRODUCT TO ANOTHER OWNER, AND I'LL BUY THAT PRODUCT! YOU ARE UNDER A FALSE IMPRESSION. I have a TMV7A and it is fine for over 3 yrs. Great Product! Sorry that you have a bad radio. But either fix it or get rid of it! [​IMG]

11. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB2KAB @ July 25 2002,15:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Uhhhmmmmm! Let me see the facts here. You bought a second hand radio. And then after a while, the radio started to go south. Now you want the manufacturer to fix the radio for free! If they did that then they would not be in business for long. Not saying that you broke it but lets face facts, no company honors any kind of waranty to second owners. Once the product has left the orignal owners hands,  the waranty becomes NULL and VOID. SHOW ME A COMPANY THAT WARANTIES THIER PRODUCT AFTER THE ORIGNAL OWER EITHER SELLS OR GIVE THAT PRODUCT TO ANOTHER OWNER, AND I'LL BUY THAT PRODUCT! YOU ARE UNDER A FALSE IMPRESSION. I have a TMV7A and it is fine for over 3 yrs. Great Product!  Sorry that you have a bad radio. But either fix it or get rid of it! [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Absolutely!

Exceptions are safety recalls on automobiles, which can go back years over several owners. Otherwise, "used" is "used." And "buddy" may not be??

12. WJ9L

WJ9L Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a couple of Kenwood radios, and one had problems.  The first time it was under warranty and was repaired free of charge.  The second time was a few months later, out of warranty.  I expected to pay for the new power module, even though my antenna system was fine.  I explained to Kenwood that I was unhappy with the performance of this unit, and requested them to repair it for free.  The tech sighed, told me to write my request down and box it with the radio, and to send it to the repair address.  Ten days later I got my radio back, working, with no charge.

I am not assuming you did anything wrong, just telling you what works for me:  I don't get much help if I read anyone out.  If I am polite, assertive, and provide facts instead of attitude I get cooperation more times than not.

My Kenwood radio is now more than five years old, and I wouldn't try to get it fixed for nothing.  I would give it a try if it were within a year of warranty expiration.  What do you have to loose?  If they said no I wouldn't give up on the maker, but I may not be excited about buying from them.

13. KB2VUQ

KB2VUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had 2) Kenwood TMV-7a's for several years.

I have had only one problem with one of
    the TMV-7a's...The vhf power amp went
    poof on it. Kenwood repaired it under warranty.

However, I have several friends with the
    problem you describe (lines on the display).
    Kenwood will repair it, if it's under warranty
    and not physically damaged.

Have you called Kenwood in Georgia
    (the top secret repair center) for a
    return authorization number, or to put
    a warranty claim in?

On another related note:
    Kenwood, nor it's distributors will
    sell you a replacement control head.
    If you lose it, fry it or break it, you are on your own.
    You would think they would manufacture
    more, in case people need replacements.

Best Regards,
    Dennis

14. W9ICU

W9ICU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One thing I found with dealing with Kenwood service was that the Service Department on the west coast, was not near as nice to deal with. They always seem to have the attitude that you were bothering them. I was also usually treated like an idiot who knew nothing. The East Coast service department however was always very pleasant and understanding. I even called them on some questions a couple times, and they were more than willing to help me out. Although I got the impression from one of the service people on the east coast that they were just a Kenwood Authorized Service center, and not really part of Kenwood. Just my two cents worth.
    73 Bob

15. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a Kenwood TM 241-A that I am using mobile. About a year ago the display went crazy,looked like Chinese writing. Now the display is totally blank, no figures, backlight or anything. IF I ever buy another radio...after reading this...it probably wont be a Kenwood.

N4FBI[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why don't you just fix it yourself. It's a known problem and is easy to fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.