ad: l-Heil
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

Contribute
to QRZ

Can you hear me now? Accourse you can! But anyways, Will this mobile antenna be good as what they describe as it saids? It will let someone communicate with someone 200 miles and futher as a mobile antenna. I kinda like it, but I have to buy the single mount as a accessory. I saw the review's of buy'ers that bought from the company so far no complaints! Lemme hear the Good Bad InBetween? Discuss? 2 Meter Ho Loop Antenna

Edit..Also its $56 dollars plus the mag mount which is $26 so im looking at about $92 dollars plus tax and shipping to spending on the antenna setup.

Name: Jamie - N4CYA
    ''One of QRZ Moderator Dudes''!
    Any questions I can't answer?

200 miles ... 2M...?? #Of course, not unless you are using a wide area repeater or have some gain on SSB. #200M is not the normal range ...!

Bill, W0LPQ

They have been around for a while and have gotten decent reviews. When used as a home station antenna mounted up 30 or 40 feet, 200 miles should be no problem. But you will be disappointed trying to use it from your car with the Kenwood. The polarization is incorrect. The loop is horizontally polarized for SSB, FM generally uses vertical polarization. Unless you are going to run a rover in VHF contests stay with what you have now.
    Rich

that looks like a square-lo type of ant, they can be made from 1/2 " copper water pipe, and yes it does work good on 2 meter ssb

mine cost less than $5.00 to build.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/loop.html

W5YI/VEC
    SKCC 2280

200 miles using 2m SSB from a mobile setup is actually not unusual at all. Although I don't work 2m SSB mobile much, I do work 2m SSB from home and about half my contacts are with mobiles using such loops, and they are often 100-150-200 miles away.

Pat N6RMJ uses a pair of stacked loops (I think he still does) on his SUV on 2m SSB and it seems that everywhere he goes, I hear him -- including places that are hundreds of miles away.

Remember, SSB as a mode has about a 20 dB advantage over FM as a mode when it comes to working weak signals. Then, horizontal polarization for VHF tropo work has another several dB advantage over vertical polarization, just because horizontally polarized signals scatter over the horizon better than vertically polarized ones. Then, most home stations on 2m SSB are using horizontally polarized beams with substantial gain: 12-13-14-15 dB gain systems are quite common...so you've got that advantage, too.

My rule of thumb in working FM/mobile on 2m vs. SSB/mobile has always been: If I could work distance X on FM, I could work distance 4X on SSB, just because of those advantages. So, making a 200 mile contact on SSB is about the same as making a 50 mile contact on FM.

WB2WIK/6
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

I used a homebrew design square loop very similar to the M2 product on my truck for quite some time. This antenna was mounted 19 inches above the roof on a mast mount and coupled to an Icom 746. With 100 watts out from the Icom, this was a great combo for 2m SSB work. It was not uncommon to have QSOs that were near or in excess of two hundred miles, but you have to realize that this was largely due to the abilities of the other station. I have even worked stations on the east coast durring band openings (I live in Missouri) from the mobile with this set up. If you are interested in 2m weak signal work from a mobile this antenna would be hard to beat, but to claim that 200 mi. QSOs are the norm is, I think, a bit optimistic.

KC0OGH

As other posters mentioned, it's certainly possible to make contacts at those distances using SSB. Since this "Ho Loop" antenna is horizontally polarized, you can bet it's intended primarily for SSB or CW work. I notice in your signature that you've listed a Kenwood V708 and a Yaesu VX-6 as your rigs - unfortunately, these transceivers are FM only and incapable of SSB or CW operation.

The Ho Loop also looks to be fairly narrow banded (144.0-144.5 MHz), covering only the SSB/CW/satellite/beacon portion of the 2m band. The manufacturer may also have been taking into account the power rating of the antenna (800-1500W) when estimating effective range.

This isn't the antenna for you, unless you've got an all-mode VHF rig you haven't mentioned.

Josh KI4ITI