ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG

HELP! I just got a wonderful old FT-101EE for a song and it works flawlessly. It even came with a matching yaesu external speaker, Heathkit electronic keyer, an RF meter, a watt meter, a SWR meter, and some sort of desk-type mic. When I say a song, I mean the whole rig for $100. WOW!
    MY problem is I don't know how to operate a rig like this and it didn't come with a manual. I need some help here either with some insight about this rig or a copy of a manual. I know there are hams out there who know this old radio...

Do not transmit until you understand how to tune the rig. The tube tuning experts will arrive shortly to explain the details.
    AB8RO : my blog
    Homebrew Forum Moderator

Go to the Bama website at http://bama.sbc.edu/yaesu.htm
    They have the manual in the listing as available.
    I had the FT-101EE when it was new in the 1970s.
    US Army Radio Operator/instructor 1966-72
    MOS 05B/O5B4H

Checkout FoxTango. No finer collection of information for Yaesu owners. Manuals available for download and so much more.

FoxTango Website

A lot of us can tell you how to tune that rig. You will, though, be better off to download the manual, and follow it precisely. Don't even attempt to tune the rig up until you have done so. Those final tubes, roughly 90 bucks a pair, can be destroyed in five or six seconds of improper tuning.

You say your unit works flawlessly. That's very good to know, as they are outstanding radios, and in design were a bit ahead of their time. One of the most popular ham radios ever.

However, they were also one of the most popular CB radios ever! Let's hope yours has not been "CB-ized." Many, many of them were. The FT101EE has an 11 meter position, but it is for receive only, and does not work on transmit unless the rig has been modified. If it has been modified, the mod MAY be to use the 11 meter position as the 12 meter ham band, which is fine, if it was done the right way. If, though, the 11 meter position was modified to put the rig on 11 meters, the mod may have caused other problems. In addition to that, virtually no FT101EE that was ever modified to work on 11 meters was run within specifications, but was instead driven very hard on AM.

Get the manual, walk through the tune-up procedure without actually doing it, then after you are familiar with it, do it for real. You cannot take too long tuning this up or you will no longer have any final tubes left.

Also, be sure to note, and stick with, the SSB operating parameters in the manual. On normal SSB you will not see the true output, but it will appear to be much lower than you expect, perhaps only a third or less of PEP output. And that is how it should be!!

It's a great radio. Had three of them. They can be easily modified to use 6146 finals, tubes that are more readly available than the standard 6JSC6 thatis in there. And are cheaper, too and a lot more rugged.

Good luck.

Ed

HMMM~ I was thinking the "EE" was made before the WARC bands came into being.
    US Army Radio Operator/instructor 1966-72
    MOS 05B/O5B4H

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (W7WV @ Aug. 07 2006,11:44)]HMMM~ I was thinking the "EE" was made before the WARC bands came into being.
    Which would be why it would have had to have been modified to use the 11m (receive only) position to work on 12m as mentioned above. Skimming the thread the 12m mod was the only mention I saw of WARC so am assuming this is what you were referring to.

I have and operate a FT101E. It has been working flawlessly since it was adjusted two years ago. I would strongly recommend you contacting www.foxtango.org
    for manuals and other help you might need. Carol Maher W4CLM organizes this website and always extends a helping hand.
    73 de Peres PY7CPC

Quote[/b] ]If it has been modified, the mod MAY be to use the 11 meter position as the 12 meter ham band, which is fine, if it was done the right way. If, though, the 11 meter position was modified to put the rig on 11 meters, the mod may have caused other problems.
    The early '101s came with an 11M crystal installed in one of the oscillator board sockets. It enabled the rig to receive, but not to transmit on that band. Yaesu jumpered the 11M position on the driver bandswitch wafer to ground; a simple expedient of cutting the brown wire enabled TX on that segment. (This mod is well-documented.)

One could also 'convert' one or more of the 10M positions by simply swapping crystals. No harm done and both of these mods are easily reversible.

Quote[/b] ]In addition to that, virtually no FT101EE that was ever modified to work on 11 meters was run within specifications, but was instead driven very hard on AM.
    Not necessarily. A lot of the '101 crowd used them exclusively on SSB. Back in CB's heyday there must have been 20 people in my area who had the things; almost all of them avoided AM operation. One fellow didn't but understood how to keep the carrier low enough so as not to cook the finals and power transformer.

I have a couple of FR101s and an FL101 - they incorporate the same basic circuitry as an FT101. The FL101 has the reputation of being one of the best sounding low-level-modulated-AM rigs in existence. Want more watts? Hook the rig to an Alpha or other stout amp and give its final tubes a break.

Quote[/b] ]You cannot take too long tuning this up or you will no longer have any final tubes left.
    ABSOLUTELY. Those 6JS6C's are a lot less forgiving than a 6146...

Quote[/b] ]They can be easily modified to use 6146 finals, tubes that are more readly available than the standard 6JSC6 that is in there. And are cheaper, too and a lot more rugged.
    I read an article by W4CLM cautioning against this. If I can find a linky to it I'll edit my post accordingly...
    The AR15/M16 - Irritating practically everyone since 1960...

Quote[/b] (W7WV @ Aug. 07 2006,17:44)]HMMM~ I was thinking the "EE" was made before the WARC bands came into being.
    Correct you are. The 'ZD series was the first to incorporate the WARC segments...
    The AR15/M16 - Irritating practically everyone since 1960...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast