ad: Sussex-1

ZS8M: Marion Island Dxpedition

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by ZS1HF/SK2023, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. ZS1HF/SK2023

ZS1HF/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All,
    Marion Island will be operation as ZS8M from end April 2010 for a year.
    Times, frequencies and QSL info to follow later.
    Pierre ZS1HF / ZS8M

2. KY6R

KY6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Fantastic!

I'm hoping that there will be more activity than the last 2 sets of ops that went there. Thanks very much for this info - and I wish you all the best! I hope to work you - I need Marion!

3. K3STX

K3STX Ham Member QRZ Page

Can I made a sked right now?

(only kidding!!

Great news, keep warm (and try to bring an amp!).

paul

4. ZS1HF/SK2023

ZS8M

Hi All,

Thanks for the interest in Marion Island. Yes, will be (trying) to take an amp. I have weight restrictions of 100kg for the whole year, which includes all my clothing and equipment.
    Will update you all when I have more info beginning March when I do training.
    Antennas are only dipoles due to severe winds and prevention of death to the birds.
    Will be creating a website with more info.
    Pierre ZS1HF

5. K5AR

K5AR Ham Member QRZ Page

Pierre -

Have a safe trip and glad to know that you will be on the air as your schedule permits.

I'm with Paul, please try to take along an amp to make up for the dipoles. GL and hope to get you in the log.

CU

6. N5KD

N5KD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fantastic News - any CW ?

This is great news for us hungry dxers Pierre.

Will you be operating any CW, or at least change from SSB to CW on request?

I'm sure the digital guys will be asking the same questions.

Have fun down there, stay warm and safe.

73' Pete, N5KD.

7. SM5KNV

SM5KNV Ham Member QRZ Page

Great news, Pierre!

Hope you will have a nice stay on Marion Island. Hope that you will be working CW. I only need 6 more entities on CW to complete them all. And Marion Island is one of them.

73 es good luck de Leif SM5KNV

8. ZS1HF/SK2023

Morning Leif,
    Sorry, no CW. SSB and digital at this stage.

9. ZS1HF/SK2023

ZS8M Info

Greetings Everyone
    Just a quick update; I am busy with some technical training at this stage. Our team training begins on 23 March and if all goes well, we depart Cape Town on 8 April.
    Now the packing starts.
    73 till later
    Pierre ZS1HF / ZS8M

10. ZS1HF/SK2023

ZS8M Pirate?

Hi All,

Yes, in true tradition, we will have an idiot pirating my callsign - ZS8M.
    Shame on you!
    Please note....ZS8M will only be operational from approx 15 May 2010. Before I get operational, I will notify you all via qrz.com once I am ready.
    Please do not entertain any idiot pirating my call sign before I make the announcement.
    My technical training is progressing well. The complete team gathers on Tuesday 23 March in Cape Town to start team training - fire fighting, first aid and cooking.
    73 for now.
    Pierre ZS1HF

11. VK4QO

VK4QO Ham Member QRZ Page

VK4QO

Pierre.

Great to hear that you will be on air from Marion Isl. There are a lot of hams here in VK that will be listening, including me.
    have a safe trip and stay.

RON VK4QO

12. KG7HF

KG7HF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Pierre,
    Nothing wrong with Dipoles! There are lots of great configurations you could use, two dipoles phased to form a 2 element beam. For lower bands, maybe try a vertical loop fed on the side so it's vertically polarized it will have a low take off angle that way. You might also look into using an extended double zepp style antenna, longer than a dipole, but has a sharper pattern and more gain.

About amps, what about solid state with a switching power supply to reduce the weight?

Paul, kg7hf

13. ZS1HF/SK2023

Arrived on Marion Island

Hi All,
    I arrived on Marion Island on 15 April, but will be operating as ZS1HF/P until the ship leaves for Cape Town.
    I have too much work to complete in the field before the ship leaves and operating ZS8M just places too much pressure on me. I will try and monitor 14,240 during the day, if and when I am in the base.
    Keep watching this site!

Pierre ZS1HF / ZS8M

14. K5FNQ

K5FNQ Ham Member QRZ Page

CW

Another request here for CW. Getting close to CW Honor Roll and could really use it. Hope you have a good stay on the island. Art K5FNQ:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.