ZK3A booming in on 80M this morning

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WB9LUR, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB9LUR

WB9LUR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well after sunrise this morning ZK3A (Tokelau Islands) was booming in on 80 CW... have not heard them on 20 or any higher bands yet...

Randy / WB9LUR

2. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They sure were. Worked them from northern WI on the wrong antenna :p

I also worked them on 20 CW. Those two are in their online log, but I also worked them on 160 meter FT8 and that one is not showing up for some reason. If anything, I thought I could count on that one being in there.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  3. WB9LUR

WB9LUR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't work FT8 but I do notice that often ops will post that those WSO's seem to lag behind in posting but after a day or two they often show up. Not sure why.

randy / WB9LUR

4. KQ9J

Yep, they did another upload and it's in there. :)

5. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Got them on 30 ft8, 40 cw and 80 cw this morning. Heard them very faintly on 160 cw this morning but no dice there. Now for the log update wait. It sounds like they are doing partial log updates so it may take an upload or two to get everything in. Gonna keep trying for 160.. not expecting any miracles with my antenna but one never knows..

6. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked them on 80m FT8 this morning, then worked them on 40m SSB about 20 minutes later.

That makes #300 for me.

7. VK3KTT

VK3KTT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

being in vk3 and knowing 2 ops helps i have managed to get them on 160m cw through to 15m thought i had a 12m qso but no cigar for now its been lots of fun i only need 12 then i have every band as i worked another group a few years ago. they have mentioned on their fb page if your qso doesnt show up work them again they are having logging issues. they ahve been spending lot of time around 00:00 utc working na on the high bands. so have some fun chasing them. all i wan tto do is to at least hear the a82 no such luck here :(

8. KQ9J

Worked them again on 16o this morning using CW this time. It was almost fully light here, that is when they are strongest. I just have a shortened inverted vee with the apex at about 40 feet. Keep trying!

KB2FCV likes this.
  9. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup definitely not giving up! My antenna is a 102' dipole up 50-60 ft fed with 600 ohm ladderline. 96 countries worked/confirmed so far with it on 160! I'm determined to hit 100 before I make any improvements. My 80/40 Q's are good.. hopefully with the next upload my 30m ft8 should be in there.. so all I have to do is get up around greyline and *not* have to stay up all night :)

10. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked them last evening on 80m, an excellent signal and only had to put out one call. Very good ops there I have found and all my contacts on various bands have gone well conditions permitting.

On 80M used my 40M horizontal loop, ladder line, balun and tuner. 400W CW and really think could have made the contact with 100W or even less without much trouble.

Hope all continues to go well with the team and a safe return home.