Zero Beat -off frequency

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KD2RON, Oct 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

While a couple hundred Hertz isn't much and the bands not nearly as crowded as they used to be it's still good practice to get close since that will occupy the least bandwidth.

Don't some of the new digs have a feature that automatically zero beats, I think I read that about he ts590...

2. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I would certainly try my best!!

My PS was intended to be a toung-in-cheak reply,
    Kinda like "wherever you go, there you are"

Also a run at the newbie
    Practice of setting the rig to an "exact" freq, 7.000.000 and thinking you are actually on that exact frequency.

GPS disciplined oscillators excluded.

Rege

3. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a lot of faith in digital displays, which not always is founded in reality.

A former colleague had a lot with salesmen to do, and once got the question about
    hat a digital display with 1 Hz resolution on a TCXO timebase radio actually shows.

His answer was:

"The display readout can be compared to a statement of a politician.
    It is an aim, not a promise..." :)

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

When nobody cares about being on the same freq , that can be causing QRM to another QSO when you start getting 300-500 HZ apart. I use a narrow filter when the bands are noisy, (160, 80M) so if you can't figure out how to get within 200 Hz of where I am transmitting, I just can't hear you calling me.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Here we have WWV and WWVH to calibrate your rig against. Get out the book and find how to set your refrence osc if you are not DEAD ZERO with WWV on 5, 10, 15 or 20 MHz !!!
    Make sure that digi readout is not lying to you.
    I found out I was 3 HZ low on my FT990 but it has not changed in 5 years so I have not bothered taking all those screws out to fix it :D

6. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

You are "preaching to the choir" here.
    All my "Premium-Rx" and exciters are locked either to Rubidium standards or to GPS disciplined oscilators.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM