ad: vanity

Zero 5 ground plane antenna

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by N2DTS, Nov 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, fortunately I have no fear of heights and have been securing pipe to structures for years as a plumber here in NYC. The one on the parapet has bent like a fly rod in some nasty storms but straightens right back up like nothing happened. I also have cameras up there watching them, just in case.

2. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

He said it smooths out the reactance curve of the antenna across all the bands.
    I guess I will see after I get it and put it on.

3. N2DTS

Worked some guys on the cb band last night.
    Tuning around I heard two guys talking normal and they sounded good, so I asked where they were and what they were using.
    Some icom ham rig (mars mods) and a normal cb rig.
    They were very strong, although one guy was 20 miles away.
    I have not received the unun yet but the antenna seems to tune up on all bands quite well.

4. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok... how did/do you manage to get permission to put those antennas on top of an apartment building?
    That's what I want to know!!

5. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that what the manufacturer says? That's pure BS. Not only do you need radials but you need full sized ones and not those little stubs that make it look like a CB antenna.

ND6M likes this.
  6. N2DTS

Those little stubs just make it look cool.

Yes, Tom (a9kw) says the antenna works without long radials.
    A few things to keep in mind:

Its an antenna for people that DONT HAVE SPACE FOR RADIALS),
    He does not say it works as well as a rhombic or sterba curtain.

Its got 112 reviews with a 4.9 rating, only 2 reviews under 5 I think.
    It is what it is, the one I have is a 30 foot tall well made easy to put up pole with six 6 foot radials at the base.
    It works just like you would expect a 30 foot pole to work.

Compairing it to a couple of fan dipoles up about 45 feet, on RX its a wash, sometimes signals are stronger on the zero 5
    and sometimes they are stronger on the dipoles, with the zero 5 getting much better as you go up in frequency.
    Noise levels are both ways also, its not a noisy antenna at my qth. It seems to pick up more of everything as you go up in frequency.

On TX, on 40 meters its mostly down from the dipoles, above 40 it can be better then a full size dipole.
    On 27 MHz I could not hear the guys I worked on the 160 to 6 fan dipole and they were S9 (over an s2 noise level) on the zero 5.
    I am sure the 40+ foot long one would work even better but that is a lot of antenna to work with on the roof.

If I had NO room for a good antenna, I would put up the 40 foot version somehow.

I have not got the unun yet. I think a pole like this is about 20 ohms at the base, and the unun likely makes it match better,
    plus it grounds the antenna which might reduce any noise even more.

Now that I have snow on the roof, I am sure the unun will arrive....

7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

He's a nice guy; I've met him many times but that's not a real call sign.

yes anything "works" if you define "works" as generating a field. Read "Everything Works" in QST by N6BT.
    https://www.okdxf.eu/files/everything_works.pdf

8. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the help of the building super and board president in erecting them. I was on the board myself. Just lucky I suppose.

9. N2DTS

You just need to remember its a limited space antenna, just like a dipole with loading coils, never as good as a full size antenna.
    On some frequencies, it having a low angle of radiation helps.

One odd thing is, I have been able to load it up on 80, 40, 20 and 11 meters without a tuna and without issue.

I had a butternut ground mounted vertical for 80 and 40 meters with a few radials and it seemed to be a very good dummy load.
    Very well made and big, but all it ever picked up was a lot of noise.
    Maybe the roof mounting has helped with that...

Got the unun today, I will put it on after work I hope.

10. N2DTS

That looks like a killer location for that antenna (or any antenna)!