ad: w5yi

Your Station's Signal - The Measure of Macho?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KY5U, May 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

We all know one, the guy who asks for a signal report and when he gets a bad report, he has to give you a long drawn out explanation of why he's weak. Sometimes you tell them "I just can't hear you" and they go on with a long transmission anyway that you can't really hear.

The other guy we all know is the one who has to be the loudest on the frequency. If you tell him another station's signal is better he has to fiddle with things and ask "What about now?" Sometimes you can see him cranking up his power to full illegal limit so he can be loudest.

I often think a big signal report is the equivalent of men measuring their man bits to see who's King Kong.

How tied are you to signal reports on your station? If someone tells you they can't hear you, do you just say "73 and maybe next time", or do you feel compelled to explain?

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

If who I am trying to work can hear me okay, I am good. I don't care about the numbers very much.

WA4BCS, WA7PRC, K1SZO and 1 other person like this.
  3. XZ2A

XZ2A Ham Member QRZ Page

I usually operate on FT8, where the 'signal report' is automated by the software. It's more fun to complete a QSO at -24 than at +10.....

Due to my puny 25 watts, many of my QSO's seem to be at -20 or lower. The skill is jumping around on the waterfall to find a clear spot between me and SA for example.

Thus proving that size doesn't matter - it is what you do with it....

KJ4VTH, N2IIE and W4RAV like this.
  4. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I once had a QSO where the other guy asked multiple times; "Are you sure it's only 5x9?"

He was looking for a 5x9PLUSwhatever (friggin' CBer mentality, IMO), and all I could think about is; "Does he think I'm lying or does he intentionally want to exceed the 'more than necessary' regs?"

I mean, seriously, who gives a frack if you're 5x9 or 5x9+40? You've made the contact, what more matters?

Some folks will spend a kilzillion $$$ for a station, just to work one mode they excel at.

How utterly boring.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  5. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

No doubt. Hey, anyone can place in the race with super-shack... but to beat everyone with a humble station rocks. ;)

As my motto proclaims "Doing more with less." makes a better challenge.

I can run a remote station and work circles around anyone without a $20k budget. But what's the joy in that? IMO, "winning" is a lot more rare when it's on a level playing field.

KM6CND likes this.
  6. N4XRD

N4XRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Being the new ham I am just glad anyone can hear me. Next I hope my audio is decent. With a hundred watts & a wire sometimes I wonder if I should be running less juice, "just for fun". But I too have fantasies about building up the station a bit. Working 75 & 40 fone so far. Lots of big signals appearing nightly but don't hear much braggin' on the nets at least. My biggest asset, in my humble view, might be the four acres I have to string up more wire. Does seem like a kilowatt couldn't hurt though. In the mean time think my 450D will be able to suffice until I learn more.

73, Ralph N4XRD

KC1DQH likes this.
  7. W9BFZ

W9BFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Something I'm rapidly learning is wattage is far from the most important factor. Focus on your antenna first. This guy is working the US from Australia with 5 watts.

G0JUR and W7UUU like this.
  8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

"Is there a mobile station trying to break in?

Go ahead mobile."

Drives 'em nuts;)

SA6CKE, AC0TP, KR2C and 5 others like this.
  9. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

The big gun who breaks the pile up to remind the other station he worked him yesterday and just wanted to say hi.

Then he asks how loud he is today. This is followed up by him trying to keep a long winded conversation going while band conditions change and everyone else misses the opportunity for the rare DX.

Don't be this guy!

KS2L, W8ZNX, KQ0J and 9 others like this.
  10. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever since I got my erection of the new tower up, I am like a new man.
    I dont need no signal report. If I can hear you, then I know you can hear me. Its confidence man.
    Like all that vitality and self assurance without the little blue pill. Now the question is if there is anybody listening?

W1TRY, WA7PRC, W2REA and 1 other person like this.