Your QRZ Bio page

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KF7WIS, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ General Manager Staff Member Administrator QRZ Page

2. AA0CW

AA0CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I would like to see something, a photo of your rig and antenna if nothing else. I had a QSO with a guy who built his own hf rig from scratch, I would love to see that, but on his qrz page, nothing. It's not a dating site, so "long walks along the beach" shouldn't be added, but gosh, put something.

3. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Out of his 25 or so suggestions, I use probably 3 of them on my QRZ bio page. :)

One thing I can't understand for the life of me is why more people don't have their QRZ bio's translated into other languages. Many of us in this crazy communicate to people all around the world. In my opinion it's selfish to think EVERYONE who reads QRZ bio's can read/comprehend English.

I get complements all the time while on the air from foreign amateurs regarding my multilingual QRZ page. My info was translated directly by foreign amateurs & sent back to me via email..............Like I said, not everyone reads English.

Tom KCØW

4. AB8MA

AB8MA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be terrified to know what babelfish would do with my bio.

r-BAD-ENGLISH-SIGN-large570.jpg

5. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly. That's why you go directly to the source & forget about Babbelfish.

Tom KCØW

6. N7SMI

N7SMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Good article. One thing he doesn't mention that I like to see is an image of their QSL card. I don't send cards to everyone I contact, but I usually will to get a good looking card... and how else to know if it's not posted on the QRZ page?

7. N4CYA

N4CYA MODERATOR / DX HELPER MANAGER QRZ Page

I leave my bio short and sweet not much of the typing a long story about myself.

8. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member QRZ Page

I've yet to contact a station that I talked to who could not read my QRZ page. If they can talk to me in English, they should be able to read it was well.

I've traveled all over the world. I *ALWAYS* try to speak the native language, even if it's just a few words. More often than not, THEY come back to me in perfect English telling me what was wrong with what I just said.

The suggestions on the page were very good.

...............Bob

9. KD0TPW

KD0TPW Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here, except this one guy at the train station in France. I didn't know any French so I asked in English. He said something to me in French, I said to him I don't speak French so he started telling me, in perfect English, how much of an idiot I was for expecting him to speak English. I politely told him where he could shove it in Serbo Croatian and went to another booth.

It's hard to stay current on languages if you don't use them often though. I used to have a decent working knowledge of several languages, now days I just remember a few phrases. I've had to speak enough different languages in my past, right now I just worry about English. Other folks can translate all they want on their own.

10. NY7N

NY7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny you should mention that. This is, verbatim, the opening paragraph of my QRZ bio:

:cool:

And yes, my existing bio seems to cover all of his points, though I don't mention favorite bands I do mention favorite modes.

11. WD4CHP

WD4CHP Ham Member QRZ Page

In this time of identity thieft, my bio says it all.

12. N4ERZ

N4ERZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I only list basic QSL information should someone need a card. I don't see the point of listing all of the information about rig's etc...isn't that one of the first thing's that people ask? For the DX stations just banging out contacts as fast as possible, I doubt they look at any information.

13. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Me, too. And it's a bit embarrassing.

"Ha ha! You funny guy! You meant 'please pass the salt' but said 'eat salt and pass it out your butt.' "

Or something. I don't even try anymore other than to say "nice to meet you," "hello" and "goodbye."

In some languages, "hello" and "goodbye" are the same word. Works for me, less to remember.

14. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

In 10 min anyone can have all the info on you they need most for free the rest you may not want known costs $25 online. Your only fooling yourself anymore sad but true.

15. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You know what they say about information on the Internet.

16. K4HB

K4HB Ham Member QRZ Page

What is this? Everyone should model their page after mine, or follow my guidelines? I don't think so, I say do your own thing. That's as long as your bio doesn't contain inappropriate content, and there's a link to report that for each page. It's YOUR page, so do it YOUR way. This is sorta like how you choose furniture and decorate your house. You put your personal touch on it, and if you want advise you can ask for it. Or you can just hire someone to do it for you. (Some Russian guy comes to mind) If your page is great, then it's great. If it sucks, then it sucks. But it's still YOUR page.

17. WD4CHP

WD4CHP Ham Member QRZ Page

Why give them any help?

18. K5SPP

K5SPP Ham Member QRZ Page

This does NOT apply to everyone, but it applies to many.

Since we're on personal pages how about this tip for making your map more readable for others. If you choose to provide a pinpoint location for your QTH by zooming in, please zoom back out before you save it! I can not get over how many times I've clicked on someone's "Detail" page, and see a gray square with maybe - maybe - a street next to it on the map. Come on, man! I just want to take a quick peek at where "Anytown" is without zooming the map out myself, and not how close you zoomed in to pinpoint your QTH.

By the way, you can always go in and edit your map if this applies to you.

19. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member QRZ Page

Good point and something I never considered. I just "fixed" mine so it didn't show my cat in the backyard!!

...........Bob

20. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

A few years ago I had pictures of my homebrew solid state, 70 watts PEP, 6 meter rig I built. I also had pictures of my travels in Pakistan but they were all in my "Profile" page, then QRZ decided to get rid of them.

fp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.