ad: vanity

Your QRZ Bio page

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KF7WIS, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO Staff Member Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

2. AA0CW

AA0CW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I would like to see something, a photo of your rig and antenna if nothing else. I had a QSO with a guy who built his own hf rig from scratch, I would love to see that, but on his qrz page, nothing. It's not a dating site, so "long walks along the beach" shouldn't be added, but gosh, put something.

3. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Out of his 25 or so suggestions, I use probably 3 of them on my QRZ bio page. :)

One thing I can't understand for the life of me is why more people don't have their QRZ bio's translated into other languages. Many of us in this crazy communicate to people all around the world. In my opinion it's selfish to think EVERYONE who reads QRZ bio's can read/comprehend English.

I get complements all the time while on the air from foreign amateurs regarding my multilingual QRZ page. My info was translated directly by foreign amateurs & sent back to me via email..............Like I said, not everyone reads English.

Tom KCØW

4. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd be terrified to know what babelfish would do with my bio.

r-BAD-ENGLISH-SIGN-large570.jpg

5. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly. That's why you go directly to the source & forget about Babbelfish.

Tom KCØW

6. N7SMI

N7SMI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good article. One thing he doesn't mention that I like to see is an image of their QSL card. I don't send cards to everyone I contact, but I usually will to get a good looking card... and how else to know if it's not posted on the QRZ page?

7. N4CYA

N4CYA MODERATOR / DX HELPER MANAGER QRZ Page

I leave my bio short and sweet not much of the typing a long story about myself.

8. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've yet to contact a station that I talked to who could not read my QRZ page. If they can talk to me in English, they should be able to read it was well.

I've traveled all over the world. I *ALWAYS* try to speak the native language, even if it's just a few words. More often than not, THEY come back to me in perfect English telling me what was wrong with what I just said.

The suggestions on the page were very good.

...............Bob

9. KD0TPW

KD0TPW Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here, except this one guy at the train station in France. I didn't know any French so I asked in English. He said something to me in French, I said to him I don't speak French so he started telling me, in perfect English, how much of an idiot I was for expecting him to speak English. I politely told him where he could shove it in Serbo Croatian and went to another booth.

It's hard to stay current on languages if you don't use them often though. I used to have a decent working knowledge of several languages, now days I just remember a few phrases. I've had to speak enough different languages in my past, right now I just worry about English. Other folks can translate all they want on their own.

10. NY7N

NY7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny you should mention that. This is, verbatim, the opening paragraph of my QRZ bio:

:cool:

And yes, my existing bio seems to cover all of his points, though I don't mention favorite bands I do mention favorite modes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.