Your favorite mode you like talking on

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N4CYA, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N4CYA

N4CYA MODERATOR / DX HELPER MANAGER

For the past 7 years of being a Amateur Radio/Ham operator I really enjoyed using the digital mode like D-Star, NXDN & Mototrbo and at times on Analog FM repeaters if there's usage on them. What all analog/digital or etc you guys and ladies use and like?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber

For 35 years, CW - 99.999%

But I have to be honest and say that in the last 6 months, I've found I actually like SSB!!! And RTTY & SSTV
    as well.... although I don't QSO much on those modes just yet - I did have fun on the RTTY contest this last
    weekend.

Gotta say - I'm expanding my view outside of CW - to me, that was the "essence" of ham radio since
    I was a teenager in the 70s. I used to flirt with a girl when I was 16 on CW for up to FOUR HOURS every day after
    school, on 40m CW (she was a local to Seattle area so on ground wave)... that was our "texting".
    I even remember her call - WB7AIX - I don't think we ever met in person.

So now... favorite mode? Gotta say SSB ragchews... never thought I'd say that!

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber

AM.And now, I have to think of something witty to meet the ten character limit..

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber

Curious what band... pretty dead mode outside of 75m

5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber

6. And yes, it's "pretty dead" there but that's what some of us are trying to change :)

6. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber

JT65, PSK, CW, Phone :)

7. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member

JT65 has worked wonders for me in my new QTH, an apartment with an indoor antenna where I have to use QRP. Before, at my old QTH, I used to usually use PSK31, RTTY, and a tiny little bit of SSB and CW. I use D-STAR and analog FM only when mobile. I'd like to get into other digital modes like P25 and MOTOTRBO. If I had the antenna for it, I'd love to get back onto 6 m with any mode at all - I'd like to try AM there.

8. KK4JSJ

KK4JSJ XML Subscriber

I looked in my log and yes we have worked each other on JT65 20m back in September. Good to see another Apartment dweller taking advantage of JT65. I got my WAS Mixed and Digital using electric fence line strung up around my ceiling and well on my way to DXCC using JT65. I also really enjoyed the RTTY Round Up this past weekend eventhough I only made 81 contacts with only 7 of those DX. SSB hasn't worked out too well for me in the apartment but I take the FT-897, a battery in a bucket and a Buddipole out to the local park from time to time. Started learning CW recently but haven't had a QSO with anyone yet...but I'm a trying.

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member

JT65 is one of my favorites, but only when used for making contacts 480,000 miles away from me.

...Some people might call that DX.

10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

Sideband

11. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber

Spark gap CW............Why limit myself to only one band when I can work all of them at once?

My fellow amateurs really seem to love it!!!

Tom KCØW

12. N4CYA

N4CYA MODERATOR / DX HELPER MANAGER

Sure you can just get one of them big antennas and towers and call out and spoke to someone near and far! :D

13. W4HAY

W4HAY Subscriber

I've been through the variations of voice and data. CW is now the only mode I operate, divided about half-and-half between straight key and paddles.

14. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member

There is only one mode you talk on ..... PHONE

All other modes are just communicating! :D

Operating Modes I enjoy .......
    SSTV
    RTTY
    CW

Used to do a lot of chatting on 6 Meters AM, but the leader of the group we had went SK some time ago and the group more or less dissolved after that.

15. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber

SSB.I am usually talking on 75m with a friend of mine.

16. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber

I've worked you both on JT65 - how funny is that? lol

17. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member

CW. Far and away my favorite mode.

18. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member

To get "technical", "talking on" implies voice communications ("phone"). That means "AM", SSB, DSB, FM, PM, ACSB, or a form of digital voice communications.

If you really mean "communicating", then that opens the list considerably.

Glen, K9STH

19. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member

The nationwide Heavy Metal Rally a couple weekends ago drew hundreds of AM stations coast-to-coast, running big iron on 160, 80 and 40, with additional activity on 20, 15 and 10.

The AM Transmitter Rally is another big operating event, next month.

http://amfone.net

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  20. K2NCC

K2NCC XML Subscriber

Any mode, anywhere I can, with what I have. Favorite is probably JT65. The ultimate lazy-man's mode.

I'd like to have a few more AM/FM QSOs in the log. Zero 160, 60 or 6M for me yet. More satellite, but there's only 2 or 3 FM birds I can hit. Even the ISS is down now. I have a "to do" list of a dozen or so modes yet to try. I wish I could do ROS and join our DX counterparts. OLIVIA is my favorite sounding mode. With JT65 being a close second. Bunches of my samples here.

I'm probably most amazed by DRM (digital radio mondiale). Wish we had some in N.America. Stereo hi-fi on HF. Who woulda thunk?

It's always a pleasure to stretch out the waterfall and see a dozen modes in front of me. Like a digital buffet.

If you haven't feasted on digital modes yet, you're missing out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.