ad: seapac-1

Your average band noise smeter reading on HF

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N0SYA, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!
    I am interested in finding out what zedders face as far as typical/average no-signal condition smeter readings are with simple wire antennas such as dipoles and loops. Just band noise. And also if zedders employ internal or external rx amplification. Any input appreciated!

2. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

As of 11:30 local time:

160m: On the only 160m antenna I have; S7.

80m: On the 134 foot doublet; S4. On the 75m wire vertical; S6.

40m: On the 40m loop; S2. On the 134 foot doublet; S1.

20m: On the 40m loop, or the doublet; S1.

15m: Doublet, or 40m loop; S1. On the 4-element 15m beam (pointing South); S2.

10m: Loop or Doublet; S0. With the pre-amp on; S1.

3. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not use external pre-amps. On my EDZ i get S0 to S1 on 10 to 20 meters. S3 on 30. On my 80 quad I get S2 on 40, S3 on 40 and S6 on 80. The 40 meter delta array yields me S2 on 40.

4. NN4RH

NN4RH Subscriber QRZ Page

Depends on how I set my attenuators, pre-amps, and RF gain, and which antenna I'm using. Could be anywhere from S0 to S9+

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

Highly variable on this G5RVjr near the airport. Today 20m is very quiet S0 with intermittent S3 static crashes with lots of activity on the band. 10m is S4 noise and no strong stations heard. 40m is S3 noise and very few stations.

6. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, that was helpful. :rolleyes:

7. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

S3-S5 on the TS-940S/6BTV (20M), S7 on an IC-751A/80-15M inverted V (80M), S5-6 on another IC-751A/G5RV (40, 20M), S2 on a CPI2000/4BTV (11M) at the moment. I'm not running the internal preamps on any of the Icom gear, nor do I have the CPI's external preamp activated.

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's usually very quiet here. Even though I have high tensions lines running along two edges of my lot, I've never heard a peep of electrical noise, even on 80. We do have a lot of weird "natural" noise up here at times...."Auroral roar" ans such, that can dominate on 20 meters.

Eric

9. W9OE

W9OE Ham Member QRZ Page

My worst band by far is 40 meters. Some nights I can have an S7 noise level about 40% of the time. I do use the internal pre-amp always. 20 meters and up are never a problem. I do live in the city so I would expect a little noise from time to time. It is just something you have to adjust too and learn to work around.

I resent weeks I have had a lot or noise in the form of static crashes due to all the storms down round Tenn. I sure wish they would keep their noise to them selves down there.

10. PE1RDW

PE1RDW Ham Member QRZ Page

on my ts 680 with a g5rv one leg hanging loose on the ground facing NE no amp att active

160 m S3
    80 m S2
    40 m drowning in contest stations right now but just below 40 m S1.5
    30 m S5 pulse noise
    20 m S1
    17 15 12 and 10 m S0.5 - S1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.