Younger ham? Check out /r/amateurradio on Reddit.

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by WU2F, Apr 28, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WU2F

WU2F Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're a younger ham like me, you may want to check out https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/.

Not only does this subreddit have over 20,000 subscribers (active users) with a distinctly younger demographic.
    It's welcoming and friendly with a slight focus on the newer aspects of the hobby such as SDR and other digital modes, but everything's discussed!

I was licensed as a 13yo in 2009 and never used my license. /r/amateurradio is what got my back into the hobby in 2014 and the reason I've been so involved ever since.

Swing on by and tell 'em I sent you. :)

de WU2F
    Anson

M6RSY and M0TGK like this.
  2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I've looked at that a few times and it seems to be the blind leading the blind. Mostly clueless people asking questions and getting stupid bogus answers from people who are even more clueless.

3. WU2F

WU2F Ham Member QRZ Page

I disagree.
    In general, there is good advice, and if there isn't it gets corrected and up voted in the comments of the thread.

M6RSY, K2RNI and N6HCM like this.
  4. KE0LCL

KE0LCL QRZ Member QRZ Page

it's great to hear that young hams are getting in but they have phone's why not show them the echolink app

K2RNI likes this.
  5. K2RNI

K2RNI QRZ Member

Echolink is an amazing app especially if you just got your tech callsign. Really let's you go past the limits of the Baofeng and tech priviledges and meet people in all sorts of countries all over the world. Than you get bit by the HF bug and go get the general and a shortwave radio.

6. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Echolink can be fun but what I have found, the thing that sparks interest for many is the novelty of communicating around the world with "no wires". Echolink is just VoIP, I don't think it is the best way to spark interest but maybe I am wrong (and just getting too old for the youth forum :) )

7. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

Because it isn't amateur radio.

W4FS and MI0YLT like this.
  8. MI0YLT

MI0YLT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yes have to agree, to me it is not real radio, but it also has uses ie: if a ham goes into a home later in life that probably wont allow antennas etc he can use echolink to stay in touch with his friends that is its biggest advantage and all radios can use it aswell not separated by brands like dstar

9. W4FS

W4FS Ham Member QRZ Page

Bingo. Hit the nail on the head.

10. W5KV

W5KV Ham Member QRZ Page

+1 on the Reddit Amateur Radio Forum! I've gotten so much help from those guys, great group! There is also weekly nets on the weekends, CW, SSB, Digital, you name it. Pretty informal though. Too bad my work blocks Reddit... although I do have the mobile app :)