You Need to Patch Your Older Windows PCs Right Now to Patch a Serious Flaw

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by NE1U, Jun 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AF9US

AF9US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From CP/M to Windows 10...
    And beyond....
    The thievery continues....

Bernie, AF9US

WN1MB likes this.
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely!

I've got an old Vista machine that runs a piece of expensive proprietary software.... and the latest Microsoft Security Essentials "update" disabled the program completely. Not only have they stopped supporting Vista, they have actually taken steps to prevent people from continuing to use it! I am assuming that they will do similar things to Win 7 as soon as they can get away with it.

This is just the latest example of Microsoft's heavy-handed approach to "customer service". Personally, I could care less if they discontinue support for an OS.... but actively disabling a program in an effort to get customers to buy the newer version borders on criminal.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a Media Center with Vista. They killed Media Center a few years ago.

Now I have a $3000 computer with Vista that my wife uses to surf the web.

She refused to use a different OS.

I am using Win7 Pro and really like it. It does what I need it to do, With no help from Microsoft.

upload_2019-6-5_10-0-45.png

Linux works fine also. You just need to know what you are doing. :D

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

What people are either blind to or simply refuse to admit or acknowledge is that they are only renting a Microsoft operating systems. Microsoft has taken your money in exchange for permission to use the OS. You only own the hardware on which is resides.

5. W6TAB

W6TAB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wholeheartedly agree with the anti-Microsoft sentiment but the reality is that this latest patch does fix a very serious vulnerability. It has been verified by independent security researchers that it is remotely exploitable and can be used to run arbitrary code. All Windows 2003. Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2 should be patched ASAP.

Or this could all just be a conspiracy by the Bilderberg group to enslave ham radio operators to do their bidding.

WN1MB and WF7A like this.
  6. KA9JLM

You forgot to include Windows 10 also. :rolleyes:

7. KK4NSF

agree and disagree. One does not rent the software. A customer has purchased the right to use it for as long as they want, as long as they do not violate the other terms. The ULA for Vista gives one the right to use the software without time limitations, as long as they do not attempt to redistribute it, reverse engineer it, or violate one of the other terms. By attempting to kill off the current older installations, they themselves are in violation of their own ULA.

This has been proven in quite a few lawsuits over the years, but MS seems to just chalk it up as the cost of doing business.... so they continue to pull BS like this.

NK2U and WN1MB like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You say toe-MAY-toe, I say toe-MAH-toe ;) "Right to use..." in written corporate legalese translates to little more than a fancy rental agreement for many of we unwashed civilians.

After spending altogether too much time under Bill Gates' software thumb, in 2006 I took the plunge into Linux and other OSS. Never looked back. My only regret is not listening to a friend's advice to get involved with Linux in early 1990s. Instead, I foolishly kept banging away with HDOS, cp/m, MS-DOS, and then Windows. Silly me!

Then again, I'm a slow learner...

9. KA9JLM

There are so many pages in the Windows ULA before you click I Agree, It may say "MS has the right to hose your computer at any time."

It says somewhere that they are not responsible for lost data.

Most users click agree without reading all of the small print. If you read and understand it all, You would take the computer back for a refund. Then it is sold as refurbished to the next fool.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    WN1MB likes this.
  10. KK4NSF

you and me both. The only Windows I use nowdays are for specialized business purposes, to run older software mandated by my clients. the other 90% of my work is done on Linux (Scientific Linux or CentOS... which are functionally equal.)