ad: chuckmartin

Yet another L4B rescue

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W9JSW, Apr 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The burner transformer since those are often free, the later versions and furnaces run more HV , ~ 14 KV , along with higher pump pressure allowing smaller diameter nozzles (mine is a .6 GPH) for higher efficiency. I upgraded my furnace components about 7 years ago and saved hundreds of $$$ that winter.

C-F kits arent cheap. In the late 60's, between National Radio, and Sanders Associates, I spent time at High Voltage Engineering in Burlington MA as a Engr Tech building 100 and 250 KV power supplies that were sold to shoe factories; plus to clothes factories to create the permanent press feature which was new at the time. I also spent a short time on the million volt particle accelerator.
    The head was Robert J. Van de Graaff himself, as nice a person as you could get.

Carl

WB1E, K0OKS and KD2ACO like this.
  2. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or someone cleaned the tubes with any number of cleaners or friction which could have removed the paint...

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Guilty. I did that a couple of times many years ago.

Many solvents will indeed remove that paint, and some are household items. I sometimes "wash" tubes in the dishwasher (it gets them shiny clean) but the "lemon Cascade" or whatever washes off the markings; I use a permanent marker "Sharpie" to write the tube numbers on the tubes first, now, and the dishwasher detergent does not wash that off.:)

4. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there any documentation about Eimac using heat sensitive paint? I wonder if this isn't a wive's tale.

Citation needed, or it is false ;)

5. W9JSW

W9JSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry guys. I won't make the net. YXL is quilting and I need to wash my tubes while she is gone...

6. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

When my ship comes in, I'll buy a vinyl cutter and make and apply a negative decal and quickly bead blast the data back onto the tube forever. The tubes I buy take a single wipe or even touch and all the ink is gone. So that is why my tubes stay dirty until I use them.

KD2ACO likes this.