(Yet) another amplifier myth

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K4HYJ, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K4HYJ

K4HYJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard this on 80 meters this past weekend - guys who were griping about the 10 meter contest. I was dialing down to get on a net when I heard these fellas talking. Someone had ask a question about 10 meters and they went off. Then the guy ask about amplifiers - he had a Dentron something or other and complained about perceived losses when listening after the amp had been put in line. One of the gripers told him that unless the amp's band select switch was set to the band he was using, there would be losses due to a tuning mismatch.

I am no electronics guru, but every amp I've owned when used in standby or turned off, the input and output connectors are basically wired together the way I read their schematics.

I tried to jump in but no one could hear me - I guess I had my band switch on 20 meters :p

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If I hear stuff like this I try to jump in for a moment if I have the time, just to confirm everything they said and add more stuff, like, "Oh, yeah, that certainly happens but also be careful you measure your line voltage carefully. The amp is probably set for 240V, and you don't want to use 230 or 250 or anything, as that can detune the internal line voltage preselector which will kill your receiver sensitivity big time. Also, dust on the fan blades reduce sensitivity by 1uV per .001" or so, based on careful observations made at the University of Silly Walks."

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

And if your transformer windings aren't wound with oxygen free copper, those O2 molecules migrate to your switches and oxidize the contacts, further degrading receiver performance. Can't be too careful.

Steve
    KV6O

4. KB5UBI

KB5UBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just remember, these people also vote.

5. K4HYJ

K4HYJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know why you can sell blinker fluid to some folks now!

6. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget you must use six foot jumpers between the amplifier and your radio.

8. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

and get them to rotate their spark plugs:eek:

9. W7MMQ

W7MMQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Griping about the 10M contest on 75 huh. There was plenty of room above 28.750 a lot of room. Apparently they don't have VFO's

10. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Nor do they have clues....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.