ad: FlagAnt-1

Yeasu FT-2900 shut down

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N2YGI, Oct 10, 2018 at 2:27 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2YGI

N2YGI Ham Member QRZ Page

I turned on the radio after a week and changed the frequency. I noticed the frequency flashing, tried to key up, looked like it would TX but it would go back to stand by mode after 5".
    No matter what i did the frequency wouldn't stop flashing, even turned it on and off, nothing. So i decided to perform a master reset.
    After the reset, the display wouldn't light up (lights), and no audio.
    Haven't put up a power meter to check the output yet, so I don't know if it transmits.

Any thoughts?

2. K3LI

K3LI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last one I heard of doing that had a couple of burnt resistors. Dont remember which ones. Is it the entire display or just the tx/rec indicator flashing? The resistors on the one I saw kept the tx rec indicator flashing. When it turn off and back on, the display would not light at all.

3. N2YGI

Entire display, nothing comes out when I open the squelch, it says "busy" all the time, hmm. let think what else...

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What is your power supply ? Voltage ?

5. N2YGI

Motorola, 14,2V

6. N2YGI

So, Yesterday afternoon, I switched on the power supply and I thought of giving another try.
    I wasn't expecting anything.
    To my surprise the radio turned on like nothing ever happened! The only thing that everything was erased, caused I did a master reset.
    It receives and transmits, lights and everything work, like brand new!!
    I haven't turned it off since...

7. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I would recommend removing the front panel module, and use switch cleaner on a rag to clean the metal spring contacts that connect it to the main chassis - that's probably your problem. (so it's likely to happen again)

I bought my FT2800 when it was only a year old, for just £30 on eBay, as it was faulty . . . that was all that was wrong with it!

Roger G3YRO