Yeasu FT-101 EE NO RECEIVE VFO light not on ??

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by AF5ST, Sep 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AF5ST

AF5ST Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All

I own Yaesu FT-101 EE It was working fine.

I just bought another FT-101 E at mena hamfest and was using my working Yaesu YC-601 digital display plugged into it so i could check the transmit and receive.

I had fixed the VFO knob which was slipping and fixed the Transmit and Receive , on the new radio ,,

so i plugged the digital display plug back into my other FT-101 EE radio and it was ON... i plugged the cable back into the VFO socket.
    NOW NO RECEIVE and NO VFO LIGHT there was no spark no noise no smoke.

Now when i turn the VFO on the radio the Digital Display on the YC-601 does not move either and the VFO light on the Radio is not on. and the Radio does not receive. DID i mess it up when i plugged in the digital display into the radio while it was on? or ? please help.

Matt
    AF5ST

2. KE7TRP

KE7TRP Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure you have the VFO SWITCH on the front sent to INT?

Do you have an external VFO to plug in and test the unit with the switch to EXT?

If the switch is set right and there is no VFO light, My next course of action would be to swap the POWER regulator Boards. If that resolves the issue then the Multi pin regulator was damaged during the plug in while on scenario.

C

3. AF5ST

Hello and thanks for picking this thread up.
    Yes the vfo switch is set to INT
    No i don't have a external VFO but the YC-601 digital display plugs into the VFO socket and it does not want to work like it did.

Yes ok the power regulator boards swap that sounds like a plan i will look into which board they actually are and then attempt to swap them out.

4. AF5ST

Update.. On power regulator board swap out.

Have located and swapped out the REGULATOR BOARD PART NUMBER PB-1314A and the radio lit up like a christmas tree. YES!!!!;)
    I'm wondering what exactly on the board is burnt out.
    I would like to try and fix the board, I have ordered a Used Recapped board also.

Thank you so much for all your help. HAM MEMBER KE7TRP:eek:

73's
    AF5ST

5. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Check parts which have an I/O connected via the connectors you mated with power on. What you did is called "hot plugging." It is a hazard to monolithic microcircuits, especially those employing junction isolation. Damage occurs when an I/O to the chip sees a voltage above ground before the ground connection is made--imagine a junction-isolated chip getting Vcc and one or more other I/Os getting a positive voltage, but the ground pin not being connected--current can flow in unintended paths, causing over-stress and device failure.

6. AF5ST

Thank You

7. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a good possiblilty that Q4 went south on you. There are lots of capacitors on the regulator board. As wa7du mention, this can reak havok on circuits plugging and unplugging this in while it is powered on. Specially the 12 and 6 volt supplies. You really need to check those out. You can get the manual from here is you do not have it.
    http://foxtango.org/FT-101SVCMan/Foxtango 101 Service.htm

8. KE7TRP

KE7TRP Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad that worked for you. Just remember to turn radio off when you plug in accessory's now :) An easy mistake that I cant believe I have not made myself!

I would not bother fixing it. But My guess is the multi pin regulator chip is damaged. Swappable boards are beauty of this radio.

C

9. AF5ST

Yes i wont be hot plugging any more. thanks for all your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.