Yeasu FL2100B opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by VE4BLB, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. VE4BLB

VE4BLB Ham Member QRZ Page

For my first amp I have an opportunity to buy an FL2100B for $400. It has been checked out by a local tech and is "OK". Aside from not having the WARC bands, are there any unresolvable issues? Are the finals readily available?

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My personal opinion is, forget about it. All of the Yaesu amps which use the 572B have problems that are difficult to fix. You might want to go to Tom's, W8JI, web site for more information.

http://www.w8ji.com/fl2100_problems.htm

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't like the 2100B, either. For the same $400 I'd pick up an SB-200. Actually, I've seen SB-200s with good tubes in them for $350.

4. VK4KGW

VK4KGW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had several also the 2100z which is preferable , with the right mods an ok amp , but they do need some work normally

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that price ($400) is a little high, BUT that Yaesu amplifier is not high on my "buy" list.
    The inability of the Chinese glass RF tube mfg. to address poor quality is killing their market (dumb),
    the Russian Svetlana 572B is an alternative.

The Heathkit SB-200 (811A/572B tubes) is a definite BUY ... Still have issue of finding good tubes.
    KIT assembly manual readily available (educational learning/ease of restoration),
    Harbach has many replacement/restoration parts, majority of remaining parts are still mfg.
    in North American (even the air variable capacitors).

Prospective buyers should read the W8JI comments on his web page.
    http://www.w8ji.com/fl2100_problems.htm

Carol Maher, W4CLM has photos and descriptions (Fox Tango web site) of the
    CB/pirate mods and hacks (bandswitches, HV capacitors, nicotine gravy) of these amps.
    http://foxtango.org/amplifiers/FL Amplifier Evolution.htm

w9gb

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  6. W7EET

W7EET Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to save yourself a lot of grief and money. Save your money and buy a ALS-600 solid state amp and buy it with the linear power supply. In the first years time you will end up buying at least two sets of 572 tubes for the learning process of tuning a amplifier.
    Rich/W7EET

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

572Bs might be pretty crappy nowadays but if you buy an SB-200 instead of the FL-2100 at least you'll have a good foundation with an amp that is not likely to have other component failures (other than the tubes themselves).

8. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

+3 on the not high on my list.

The 2100 series is OK with work, but they are neither as well designed nor as reliable as many other choices.

Personally, I would not pay $250 for one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.