Yahoo wants your data

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KK4NSF, May 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Or maybe I should just put a windoze machine on my DMZ (now that I have one), direct all incoming packets to that machine, disable the firewall on that windoze machine, load it up with large randomly generated files with names like "top secret", "passwords", "financial routing numbers" and also put as many virus's on it as I can find. And let 'em have it.

3. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, don't do that.

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

that's not a bad idea.... but it would probably come back and bite you on the backside.

I recently renamed my wifi router "FBI_SIGINT_DEPT". It's now amazingly quiet.

5. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe no virus's, but maybe put some very guttural sentences in plain text at the beginning of all those randomly generated (dd if=/dev/random etc.) files that tells them what they can do with themselves. Maybe some "hello world!" executables that do the same thing, but don't say "hello world!"

My WiFi router SSID has been "wannacryransom.exe" for a couple of years now.

N1OOQ likes this.
  6. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to have people pull off the road in front of the house and watch them try to connect to WiFi.
    Then I changed the SSID to NSA_MONITOR_3. Now, no problem and no random connects. :)

7. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Back when I was using WiFi routers, I thought I was being clever using "Warning_Virus" as my router SSID. You guys just burst my bubble.

Now I don't have anything but Ethernet. WiFi is like putting a sign out saying "rape me".

8. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

Being on the 'net is a sign saying 'rape me' these days. WiFi makes you an easy mark if you're not careful and assume that plugging the router in is all you need to do. It takes work to secure your network and you can't rely on the vendors of your equipment to do it.

;)