Yahoo wants your data

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KK4NSF, May 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

yes.... it's a problem, but not impossible to stop. While it IS impossible to truly delete the information they already have, you can severely curtail future data-gathering. It does take some effort, though. Most folks nowadays are simply too uniformed /lazy to do anything about it.

2. WB5UAA

WB5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the term used today is "espionage capitalism." Yahoo has always been one of the most aggressive internet services capturing your data and monetizing it. I have rejected them from their beginning. Every service on the internet today "wants your data" now. Lots of information used to sign up for all these *free* services may seem benign at the time you're signing up but can be used as a unique identification number in the future. (for example, your phone number.). Win 10 comes with a unique number on every installation that's very difficult to delete, hide or obscure. I swore off Microsoft after Windows 7. And now I see a lot of advertising for *free* VPN services to protect your transactions on the internet through encryption. HA!

3. KK4NSF

there are a number of methodologies that will slow / stop / misdirect most if not all of the spying.... few of which work with WIN10. To really be secure, you need to work with a Linux based system.

KK4GGL likes this.
  4. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

How does Linux have less browser tracking than any other operating system?

5. WB5UAA

When you clear your browsing history in Mozilla, more granular file-level permissions and SELinux help a lot.

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Think I can take issue here.... when I clear my browsing in Firefox, yes I do have 'clear everything' when Firefox closes, sure does that 'it seems' but it doesn't, you check the hidden files all the websites you've visited are listed...!

Same with Thunderbird.... you delete all ya' Emails, yep sure you do but only from sight, each and everyone is still there in the hidden files. I found out by nosying, when I first found them it took me a good while to delete them all.... and they keep a copy of em in .msf files.

Dave

7. KK4NSF

if used with most default settings, it may or may not be more private. But when configured with the more granular setting mentioned by W5UAA above; used with tools that are not available for Windows systems; and used wisely, it is possible to stop most of the spying.

8. KA8NCR

Okay, which tools?

9. KA8NCR

Most of the egregious privacy violations happen on computers you do not control.

I let any first party site place any cookie they want, and it stays until the tab is closed. But that doesn't stop javascript telemetry that doesn't utilize cookies. Advertisers have long ago become hip to the inconsistent and sometimes unreliable use of cookies. They'll take them where they can get them, but they've begun using things you can't easily change like canvas fingerprinting and cutting deals with the content owners to tie together user and subscriber data. Notice how some news sites pretty much require you to log in now in order to read more than an article or two...this is because the data tying a user session to a particular individual is *that* desirable and generates revenue itself. More so, if you you subscribe not just for the subscription fees, but because there is a verifiable identity and they will do everything they can to follow you around.

Then they tie that together with what is known as "out of band data", which is purchase history from merchants provided by merchants or credit card companies and vast dossiers are built. The idea proposed is to be first in line when you are ready to buy something, but it is also being used for outright manipulation and price discrimination (if you can pay more, why not is their logic). Google has done it, Facebook has done it (and even floated the idea of medical data until their hands were slapped), and many other companies are doing it way below the radar.

Some people I worked with in a previous job used to work for one of the largest ad agencies that isn't tied to Google and Facebook. The things they do are both ingenious and utterly frightening.

Cookies are just one area of concern when trying to retain privacy. And once you get to a level where you have accomplished it, sites quit working or you have to quit using them all together when you figure out that they're selling you out to their "trusted third parties". Uh-huh, you may trust them, but I sure as hell don't (*cough* I'm looking at YOU WeatherUnderground).

10. WB5UAA

Yup, there's that, too. But there are ways to diminish their collection of your data for the time being. Has anyone checked their firewall incoming rules lately? Sometimes clicking "agree" sets up some incoming rules with out any indication it does this. OUCH!

Quick google:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox/privacy-and-security

https://www.privacytools.io/ (HA HA! look what this web site says about Windows 10 under "Operating Systems")

http://bestprivacytools.com/

Most people don't have the discipline required to try to protect their data (privacy). (Or don't care. " I have nothing to hide.") Which is why there's a market for espionage capitalism. And there's money flowing to our leaders which discourage them from doing anything about it. And there's actual incentive for some of our leaders to use this data for themselves. (George Orwell) Which is why, at some point in the future, I'll just disconnect from the internet and start using burner phones.

KK4NSF likes this.