Yahoo wants your data

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KK4NSF, May 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

There are plenty of people who don't know how to block ads, scripts, etc. They pay for it.

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, when something's being given away for free, you are the commodity.

YO3GFH and KK4NSF like this.
  3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

absolutely correct, as demonstrated by Facebook, Google, and all of the big data companies.

For me, the price of all that free stuff far outweighs the benfits

4. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

All of the ham radio related Yahoo Groups I followed moved over to Groups.io, porting all of the files as well.

Ted, KX4OM

5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

You raise a fair point. The going rate for Gmail type services (plus a few that you don't get with Gmail) is about $60 per year via Microsoft.

I can spring for that, and I do. But what happens to people on fixed or lower incomes? They don't get privacy? This crap needs to be fixed, we shouldn't have our private data used to turn a few people into billionaires.

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

What's a Yahoo Group?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope, but that's the price you pay ($0) for giving up your privacy. ...and Gmail is no panacea, either--Google harvests TONS of data from its subscribers.

Of course, you could always subscribe to pay-for-mail/no tracking e-mail (https://www.fastmail.com/pricing/), but it isn't free.

Here ya go, Tom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Groups

KK4NSF likes this.
  8. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A group of yahoos .....

9. KC2TCM

KC2TCM Ham Member QRZ Page

How many times has someone replied to all, and now everyone in the CC: field has everyone else's email address? I've had that issue with local ham clubs, as well as at least one governmental body that did the same thing, but to a much larger list.

10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

KK4NSF likes this.