ad: BilalCo-1

Yahoo wants your data

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KK4NSF, May 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Just this morning I clicked through to a news story on Yahoo, when this new message popped up:

"Before you continue...

Yahoo is part of Oath. Oath and our partners need your consent to access your device and use your data (including location) to understand your interests, and provide and measure personalised ads. Oath will also provide you with personalised ads on partner products. Learn more. Select 'OK' to continue and allow Oath and our partners to use your data, or select 'Manage options' to view your choices."

Well Yahoo... I'm sorry, I can't do that. SO, I clicked away from the story and added Yahoo to my list of blocked sites.

If you read the message, it simply says "access your device and use your data" in order to "to understand your interests" That sounds rather broad.... and looks to me like an admission that they are building user profiles that are far more intrusive than I care to participate in.

Of course they are not the only ones doing this... far from it. BUT with any luck the new European privacy laws will continue to alert us about the big offenders. Too bad we don't have similar laws in the US.

2. KK4NSF

Reading their "Privacy Policy" ( https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/index.html ) I'm glad I clicked away. Here are a few highlights:

When you create an account with an Oath Service or brand. (Please note, when you use our Services, we may recognize you or your devices even if you are not signed in to our Services.) Oath may use device IDs, cookies, and other signals, including information obtained from third parties, to associate accounts and/or devices with you.

In June 2017, we announced that Yahoo and AOL had joined to become Oath, a digital and mobile media company and part of Verizon. We’re now bringing Oath and Yahoo under a single privacy policy

Oath analyzes and stores all communications content, including email content from incoming and outgoing mail. This allows us to deliver, personalize and develop relevant features, content, advertising and Services.

We collect information from your devices (computers, mobile phones, tablets, etc.), including information about how you interact with our Services and those of our third-party partners and information that allows us to recognize and associate your activity across devices and Services

These data collection technologies allow us to understand your activity on and off our Services and to collect and store information when you interact with Services we offer to partners.

We collect information about you when we receive it from other users, third-parties, and affiliates,

Analyze your content and other information (including emails
    , instant messages, posts photos, attachments, and other communications)..... to create analytics and reports for external parties, including partners, publishers, advertisers, apps, third-parties and the public..... and combine information we have about you with information we obtain from business partners or other companies, such as your activities on other sites and apps.

We will share information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Oath when we have your consent. [remember, when you click OK to read a news story, they have your consent] .... We may share your information with nonaffiliated companies.

When you use or interact with any of our Services, you consent to the data processing, sharing, transferring and uses of your information as outlined in this Privacy Policy. Regardless of the country where you reside, you authorize us to transfer, process, store and use your information in countries other than your own in accordance with this Privacy Policy and to provide you with Services. Some of these countries may not have the same data protection safeguards as the country where you reside. [in other words they are going to move your data to places where they can use it freely]

and these are just the highlights. Basically they are telling you that not only do they store the metadata about your interaction with their website, they also read your e-mails, and any other data you might have on your computer. They then share that data with unspecified "third parties" and "external parties". Not only that, they combine that data with your Verizon information... like geolocation, text messages, and so forth to create detailed profiles.

All of this seem a VERY INTRUSIVE price to pay just to read one of their news (or propaganda) stories.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed, and I'm sure that countless viewers will click the Agree button, not weighing the danger of allowing people ready access to their information. It's one thing to be careful and limit who has access to your information and quite another to hand it over on a silver platter.

KK4NSF likes this.
  4. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

:rolleyes:
    Pretty soon, you'll have to give it all up to do anything online... Like stream a movie, or other simple things. It would be tough to go dark these days.

5. KK4NSF

you know...that's what I thought, until I read Mitnick's book "the Art of Invisibility".

After reading it, I realized that while you can't go completely dark, you CAN control what the databases actually have. It's actually very easy using some very simple techniques.

6. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

What annoys me is that people willingly give away access to their contacts and have essentially given away my information without my consent.

If people want to trade their metadata and privacy for free services and convenience, that is their business. But invariably, non participants in that contract get their information included in that deal and I find that disgraceful.

KK4NSF likes this.
  7. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm surprised that you getting that message. Yahoo and AOL merged with Oath about a year and a half ago. I remember the messages during the merger, but haven't seen them since.

Here is what they are saying about Oath now:

"Only a year and a half after it built Oath from the assets of the communications giants Yahoo and AOL, Verizon now says they're virtually worthless. ... "Goodwill" is calculated by subtracting the current fair market value of the assets and liabilities of an acquired company from the price that was paid to buy the company."

It is expected that Oath will be rebranded as Verizon soon. In fact, if you visit the Oath site, it will tell you that they are in the process.

I have a Yahoo email account. But I only used it for summaries from news groups. I have no contacts, so they really can't get anything. I also use an ad blocker in Google Chrome. So the only time I see any ads, is when a email folder is empty. So I always keep at least one old email in any folder. That blocks everything.

8. KK4NSF

The reason I'm only seeing it now is because I've avoided their system like the plague.... never clicking anything even remotely associated with them. The reason is this:

When you create an account with an Oath Service or brand. [ which is defined in the terms, as "accept these terms", not actually sign up for an account] (Please note, when you use our Services, we may recognize you or your devices even if you are not signed in to our Services.) Oath may use device IDs, cookies, and other signals, including information obtained from third parties, to associate accounts and/or devices with you.

Basically they are admitting that they track you even if you are not signed into their service. Once you agree to their terms, they have the green-light to gather / associate any data they can get from "third parties", and access your data. No matter what they call themselves... "Oath" or Verizon, it's is still a terribly intrusive price to pay for merely reading one of their news stories.

9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just be sure to clear your cookies after using any of these creepy services. Doesn't stop everything, but it probably slows them down.

10. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

But,But,But, How do you expect to pay for all that free stuff??!!