YAESU " warranties" FTdx5000MP HF/6M 200W Transceiver OLED Replacement

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by NH7R, Jul 13, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. NH7R

NH7R Ham Member QRZ Page

My reason for putting this info here is that it seems not to be well-known, and is very important to anyone who owns or might consider buying a pre-owned Yaesu FTdx5000.

There seems to exist a "stigma" regarding this beautiful tranceiver due to the well-known and "infamous" premature failures of the sub display OLED segments (3). This has been an ongoing issue nearly ever since this radio hit the shelves 10 years ago, and has affected the resale value in most cases. One or more of the segments may dim or get vertical lines in it over a period of time. Yaesu now uses a new version OLED that should last the lifetime of the radio. IF you own a 500k, no matter if you bought it used, Yaesu will replace the bad OLED segments at NO CHARGE for parts & labor. Mine had 2 of 3 bad (I could still read them), and I had the 3rd one replaced (approx $45) for the part cost only. Yaesu did a full bench check after servicing at NO CARGE and also paid return FEDEX shipping to me here in Hawaii. My out-of-pocket cost for shipping and part was less than $200. Pretty hard to beat, eh?

If you have one that you may sell at some point, do the next owner a favor and have yours repaired/replaced before listing for sale. Other than the OLED issue there are no other known issues with this radio, and is the choice of many of the world's top DX'ers & contesters, as well as casual operators. Yes, I own one and love it!

I for one applaud Yaesu for "stepping up to the plate" and taking care of their FTdx5000 owners. Please contact Yaesu in Cypress, CA for details.

I know this may have been put out before, but thought it might be good to republish if not.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2016
    KU3X, KC8VWM, KW4EK and 1 other person like this.
  2. K4IDC

K4IDC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tommy,
    This is very good news. Can you say if owners should contact Yaesu directly in order to pursue the repair?

3. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought the TX IMD of the 5000 were less than great? Not good news for anyone local to you. But at least the OLED issue is sorted, which is good to know.

4. NH7R

NH7R Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, contact Yaesu Service in Cypress, CA

5. NH7R

NH7R Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but can you be more definitive? I've never seen this as a model issue reported by anyone in the last 10 years.

6. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Tommy, Its been a while now but I saw a couple of posts 'somewhere' from USA guys bemoaning the fact that their local noise levels went up a lot when a local ran his ft5000 on the same band as them. There is always scope for people to overdrive rigs, of course but I recall that the RadCom review seemed to indicate that even in class-A mode, the instant that ALC intervened things went a lil sideways. There was something about the speech processor being unconventional inasmuch as it manipulated the ALC rather than the normal way processors work.

Its been a while & it was only of passing interest to me at the time so my old brain doesn't recall the full details.

But this goes back to the first generation of ft5k so maybe firmware/hardware updates in subsequent production runs have gotten around it.

7. NH7R

NH7R Ham Member QRZ Page

Aloha,

My 5k was "updated" and all 3 OLED's replaced in June 2016, this was the first service since new (3yrs). I have never experienced this issue,
    but I think that some owners are "guilty" of using too much of a good thing at times, which might cause other operators to fault the radio
    instead of the operator.

This radio produces plenty of audio without excessive mic gain and processor, and like most other transceivers can be overdriven causing
    distortion, spurs and undesired artifacts in the transmitted signal. If one would only take the time and care to set up the parametric EQ
    and mic gain correctly, and limiting use of the processor, the transmitted signal is strong and clean.

Happy New Year!

Tommy KH6TA

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

my FT5K still has good OLEDs (KNOCK ON WOOD) but I am so worried they will fail any day now. The best thing I can do is LEAVE IT OFF, so the OLEDS will last a little longer

9. W6OU

W6OU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This free replacement appllies only to those OLEDs with the vertical line problem. It does not apply to OLEDs which have become dim. In March 2019 I was charged several hundred dollars to replace all three dim OLEDs. The tech told me they would eventually become dim again through aging.

K0UO likes this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

This free replacement appllies only to those OLEDs with the vertical line problem. It does not apply to OLEDs which have become dim. In March 2019 I was charged several hundred dollars to replace all three dim OLEDs. The tech told me they would eventually become dim again through aging.

That is True and is why I now have ICOM

K7MH likes this.