Yaesu SCU-17 questions

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by AF7FQ, Mar 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. AF7FQ

AF7FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I found a SCU-17 in a pile of gear that I picked up recently and I am not completely familiar with what it can do. I also found a Kantronics KPC-3+ but it is much better documented so I was able to easily find that it is a TNC for packet only. THE SCU is not nearly as well documented though so I really can't figure out what it is capable of. I have an FTDX 1200 that it would work with but I'd most likely want to use it with my FT-857D for ARES if it can be used on the needed modes. I know that my Rigblaster Nomic that I've used for PSK-31 can do uther modes, determined by the software used, but I'm not a fan of the Rigblaster. I guess what I'm wondering is, can the SCU be used for FM packet? HF packet? PSK-31? other modes? Does it play well with the FT-857D?

2. AK7AN

AK7AN Ham Member QRZ Page

The SCU-17 is nothing more than an external USB soundcard with external controls. It does provide CAT and PTT control for Yeasu rigs via the same USB connection. It will function very well with the FT857 providing you aquire the correct cables for the 857. It can be used as an external sound card for other radios, just with out the CAT feature of using only 1 USB connection to the PC..
    Hope this helps
    Ed

3. AI4EE

AI4EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Yaesu FTDX 1200 and I'm considering an SCU-17 USB interface. Will this allow me to work FT8? the software says to set the speed to 48000 and I don't know if the SCU-17 will handle that.
    I also want to use CAT, which the SCU-17 is supposed to do.

Would I be better off ditching the SCU-17 and going with the MFJ-1204 (no CAT)?