Yaesu MH-31 fidelity?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KC2TAU, May 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

[QUOTE="N7EKU, post: 4253042, member: 443358]

The stock D-104 microphone was tailored to produce "talk power" so it was not one for fidelity:

Mark.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but have you actually used one on a rice box rig on AM before?

Try it, come back and write about it.

2. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

No, not being an AM guy, I haven't tried it,

I guess it also depends on the receive end of things. It could be that extra emphasis on the high end is needed if the AM filtering is too narrow on modern rigs. Thus in the end, it sounds more natural to every one. So it really could be the way to go!

Thanks for the expert AM knowledge Charles!

Mark.

3. VA7CPC

VA7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

the MH-31A8J is dynamic. It's a good _communications_ mic, but it has substantial high-end ("presence") boost, and limited low-frequency response. There's no easy way to fix the low-end rolloff. The FT-891 has TX EQ, so you can do some correction by boosting the low-end frequencies with that. But it won't be nearly as good as a wide-range microphone.

If you want "rag-chew sound", without spending much, I'd suggest a trip to the local music store (or online) for a Behringer XM8500 (around $20 mail-order). It's a hand-held mic, with a cardioid pattern. You'll need an adapter cable, probably available from Heil Sound, if you want to buy it rather than build it. And you'll need a PTT switch (unless the Heil cable comes with one).

I've been using a similar mic on my FT-450, and it works very well. To go from "rag-chew" to "DX" sound, just change the TX EQ settings.

. Charles

PS -- don't confuse the _mounting method_ of a mic -- hand-held, desk, boom -- with anything else. It's independent of mic element type, frequency response, and quality. You can mount the XM8500 in a boom, if you want to do that.