ad: GNOHF-1

Yaesu G-5500 stop conversion

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by VK6XLR, Oct 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. VK6XLR

VK6XLR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a Yaesu G-5500 Az/El rotator for my satellite setup.

As is comes from the factory, it's set to North stop with the meter scale accordingly. I want to change mine to South stop. Sure the rotator itself is easy enough, but the meter scale will be wrong.

Is there a South stop meter scale available? I've looked but can't find. Has anyone made one and has a template?

2. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

5400south.jpg I downloaded this few years back for my 5400... perhaps it will work? - GL & 73, Kevin N4UFO

3. VK6XLR

Yeah, I've seen that one too.
    However the G-5500 spans 450° not 360°
    upload_2017-10-11_16-57-7.jpeg

I've just taken mine apart to scan the faceplates. I'll try to edit, but my skills there are not that crash hot :(

4. N4UFO

5500 north center.jpeg
    With the exception of not re-doing the red color on the most right hand side, here's a quick go. My 'paint' skills are fairly good, but it's a whole lotta work to recolor those... have to do it on the pixel level. Maybe later. - 73

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  5. VK6XLR

Cheers!!
    Yeah, looks like pixel level is the go. Not an easy job :(

6. N4UFO

I took a zoomed in look and that's going to be beyond me to change the colors... the edges need pixels of different shades. So if that works for you, we'll call it good. :)

7. VK6XLR

No probs. Many thanks for your help.

It's just a pity Yaesu doesn't make/sell them :(