Yaesu FTDX-5000 no longer being offered?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W7KKK, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
  1. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I know that the FT-950 is being replaced by the FTDX-1200 and the FT-2000 is history also.
    But someone just told me that the FTDX-5000 is now no longer going to be offered?
    Lots of changes taking place or so it seems.
    Is Yaesu coming of with an entire new line of radios?
  2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They BETTER not discontinue it!!!
    I have had mine only 8 months!!!
  3. W7KKK

4. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KD6VM

KD6VM Ham Member QRZ Page

That has been my impression for a few weeks. They will only be offering the tricked out model.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the problem? If they close it out, yours will be RARE!
  7. WA6MHZ

I have a MP, so mine is still in Production.

Yaesu did this back in the 70s with the FT-101 series.

They had the "E" and then the "EE" to save a few dollars. They left off a few features.
    Then the "FX" version came out, virutally the same. I have all 3. All 3 about the same.
  8. W7KKK

I guess that my memory escapes me. In the mid 70s when I got my Novice ticket I had a Swan 350 and sold it and bought an FT-101EE and I thought the only difference was that the EE model had the speech compression feature?
  9. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

The E model had the speech processor. The EE model was the E Economy model. It was about a $100 difference.
    It's been a while but I am pretty certain the processor was the only difference.

The EX and FX was the eXtreme economy model with no processor, dc converter, mic, dc power cord, no 160 meter crystal, and only the 10A crystal installed.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  10. W7KKK

OK, I know that I bought the one with the speech compression but I thought in years past that it was the EE, not the E. Memory is fading I guess.
    I bought it preparation to go ahead and take my general test in SF. I knew the code from the Army and was working electronics for the Navy at the time.
    But I was entirely too busy with a young family with two kids, overtime, going to college 3-4 night a week and all so I just gave up the hobby and sold the station off.
    I only got to use the rig as a Novice for a short time and of course that was CW only at the time.
  11. WA6MHZ

They also shorted some crystals for 10M, and the DC-DC Converter on the back. Also the Fan I think. But most hams just bought these and put them back on. Mine has those upgrades. My current EE is short the Speech Processor, so I am looking for an E Processor to convert it up. Then, though, I will have 2 E's, intead of an "E" and a "EE".
  12. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

I now remember those (I had one of the "EE" models. At the time, many of us felt the exxtra money for the speech processor they offered was not worthwhile. If anybody asked, a few of us kept empty juice cans (both ends cut out) to speak through. We even did comparative testing on the air ("speech processor off.... speech processor on... speech processor off.... speech processor on..."). Some people were actually impressed. ;)
  13. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

FTDX-5000 has been supplanted by much cheaper models from the competition. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.