ad: k1jek

Yaesu FT3D – new flagship VHF/UHF handheld to be realeased at Dayton

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by YO9IRF, May 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. YO9IRF

YO9IRF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Attached Files:

N0YPD, KF5VGK, N1ART and 1 other person like this.
  2. KA3UXU

KA3UXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks great. de KA3UXU

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  3. KD2QQL

KD2QQL Ham Member QRZ Page

LOOKS NICE!

4. K8SQB

K8SQB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no idea why I buy a new HT just before Dayton... Shoulda known something would be coming. Well, it's still a good 'un. I'll wait to see the reviews on this.

5. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone coming out with a new dual band mobile.? Would be nice

6. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I love my FT2D, but here is what I would like to see from the FT3D:

The option of a bigger battery.
    A better speaker with more power.
    Keep the capactive touch screen. A smartphone style touch screen will make it too easy to accidentally mess things up.
    Bluetooth that can use the basic comms standard and not require a bespoke $200 Yaesu headset

If at least two of my 'wants' are met, I will probably buy one around Christmas when I expect the price will fall. I would never pay $500 for something that I could easily drop and run over with my car.

I do wonder why Yaesu would make a radio with broad band recpetion and only have FM and AM codecs. If you offer 160m-10m reception, why would you not have an SSB filter? This can be done in software for pennies.

7. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Got my attention! After a long absence from ham radio, my only VHF/UHF gear is analog, which still all works great, but I'm looking into new digital going forward. In my area, the Yaesu system outnumbers all others combined, so that's the choice.

Looking forward to the price drop. Maybe I'll get the 400 in the meantime.

8. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

If they had D-Star or an option for it, instead of (or in addition to C4FM) I'd consider it...

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    K8HIT likes this.
  9. KD2QQL

id pay $150 for that, especially since yaesu's warranty process is NOT EASY!!! i have a brand new mobile yaesu with a broken knob, i need to mail it in and wait weeks? for a $100 radio . im good

N1ART and K0UO like this.
  10. M0TCH

M0TCH Ham Member QRZ Page

KC1HLU likes this.
  11. N1ART

N1ART Guest

Probably cheaper to buy the knob from Yaesu than mail it out and risk a damaged radio...Just a thought.

As far as the new Yaesu HT, Its awesome!

KD2QQL likes this.
  12. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Solution: buy from HRO. They will tell you straight up NOT to send in the warranty card for a few weeks. If you send in the card, you have to deal with the manufacturer; if you don't, HRO will make it right.

I have a friend who bought an FT-70D at HRO in Delaware. It had major transmit problems. He went back to HRO and told them what was happening. The clerk asked if he had sent in the warranty card. When my friend said 'no,' the clerk turned around and handed him a new FT-70 in the box.

13. KD2QQL

.... it's one of the nicest handie talkie transceivers available, I think i want it, yeah i'm probably going to get it...... + accessories, easily $700 :(

14. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

It really sounds bad.

The bluetooth has a lot of noise in it using the Yaesu set.

Screen looks nice, but as you use it you will realize the color scheme is hard on old eyes. Especially those of us with red/green deficiencies.

It uses the same archaic programming method as the FT2.

So where is the innovation? You won't find it, but the lipstick is nice.