Yaesu FT2DR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by OE3JJS, Jul 4, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N2GJ

N2GJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoyed reading this thread immensely as I am a recent owner of a FT2D. I'm puzzled by all the problems with GPS reported here. I have none here in the state of New Jersey, USA. Perhaps it has affected DX stations negatively - don't know. APRS beaconing works great here.

BTW, we have at least 4 (3 @ 2M, 1 @ 440) in our central NJ area. They are all working great. Digital communications is pretty cool on these. Seeing how far away you are from a station & seeing their name with their call (as in D*Star) is helpful. All those who have been complaining about el cheapo $30 Chinese radios getting into the hands of lids, kids & space kadettes: consider Fusion. (No, I don't work for Yaesu...in fact, I'm retired)!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    K5ASL likes this.
  2. PD0AC

PD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a pity though that the front-end of the FT-2DR is inferior to some of the latest Baofeng models. When visiting Sail Amsterdam (there are lot of strong out-of-band signals during such an event) the FT-2DR receiver died (de-sensed) completely. A spare Baofeng radio was on board too, the GT-3 MKII. Contrary to the expensive Yaesu the GT-3 had no problems dealing with the RF pollution. Yaesu should be really ashamed; for that amount of money you're entitled to get the best.

Some more tests were done later, with similar results. Being a Yaesu fan, I almost couldn't believe it.

AD5KO likes this.
  3. EB2AQH

EB2AQH Ham Member QRZ Page

My FT-2DE don't transmit in APRS mode (beacon and Message).
    I have followed all the configuration steps in the manual.
    I can receive everything but when I try to transmit APRS data only get a di-da beep.
    GPS is OK, APRS callsign Ok, APRS modem OK, ....
    Pelease can you help me?
    73's
    EB2AQH

4. PD3ADN

PD3ADN Ham Member QRZ Page

If all your settings are okay then you have no lock with the GPS when you press the manual APRS when your hear the error signal !
    You can also try first to set a fixed GPS location and then send an APRS signal manualy...
    Or tell all your APRS menu settings !

Greets,
    PD3ADN

5. K5JDY

K5JDY Ham Member QRZ Page

GPS Interface Question. Assuming cabling exists or can be made, can the FT2DR's GPS loc be spit out via serial for input into NMEA compatible device, say a Uniden BCD536HP scanner?

6. KI7GSD

KI7GSD Ham Member QRZ Page

please help. on my ft2d when its set in auto mode between digital and fm then each time there is a transmission there's also a very high pitched or whistling sound present. its also present on other digital modes. to hear it, set the radio in any digital mode but turn volume knob all the way down, then you'll hear it when there's a transmission coming through. its even more annoying when used with an ear piece.

7. KI7GSD

KI7GSD Ham Member QRZ Page

please help. on my ft2d when its set in auto mode between digital and fm then each time there is a transmission there's also a very high pitched or whistling sound present. its also present on other digital modes. to hear it, set the radio in any digital mode but turn volume knob all the way down, then you'll hear it when there's a transmission coming through. its even more annoying when used with an ear piece.

8. KI7KVI

KI7KVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you updated the firmware? I do not see any reports of users with problems who have done that. Just curious if the firmware update has solved some of the issues reported here.

9. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the FT-2D, major problems, and in comparison to the FT-1XDR which I now have I think it's junk. The FT-1XDR is really good, very fast GPS and a reliable radio, no lockups or reboots like the FT-2D. The FT-2D often could not get a GPS fix at all, while the FT-1XDR can get one in seconds indoors during rain, same locations.

I sometimes wonder if I just got a bad one, but regardless of that I hated the cheap fuzzy grey display. Nothing like the images in the advertising.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  10. KI7KVI

KI7KVI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sorry you had problems but my question was whether people with problems had installed the updated firmware. I purchased one recently that has the latest firmware and I find none of the problems mentioned. The screen seems fine to me but I am sure that that is a matter of personal taste.