Yaesu FT2-DR / RT Systems / SD Card Programming

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by W6TAE, Dec 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W6TAE

W6TAE Ham Member QRZ Page

YES! I got the FT2DR programmed! I did try a different manufacture on the SD Card ( I used Samsung and it worked ). So at this point, the radio is working again and yes, I was on America's Link yesterday.

Just be clear, if anyone experiences the sames issue I had regarding this radio, the way I was able to get this to work was;

* Make sure the RT Systems software is update to date and that you have updated your files to reflect the new revisions.
    * Installed the SD Card into the radio and "format" the card.
    * Remove the card from the radio and install it into the PC.
    * Open your RT Systems software and select "read from SD card" from the communications menu.
    * Once the PC has uploaded the data from the SD Card and opened a new window to view the data, you can "cut & paste" from your older file ( frequency lists / settings ) and drop the information into the new file.
    * Save the data and then write to the SD Card.
    * Remove the SD card and place it back into the radio.
    * Follow the RT Systems software instructions to load the file into the radio!

If things go correctly, you'll be enjoying your new programming on your updated Yaesu FT2-DR HT!

I just want to say, "Thank You" to all of you which helped me with the frustrating upgrade!

73's & Have a Happy Holiday Season !!!

-Tom / W6TAE

KA9JLM likes this.
  2. KC3EJC

KC3EJC Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom, I picked up a used FT-2DR/DE, updated the firmware to Main 2.02, Sub 2.01 and DSP 4.30. I purchased RT (version 5.00.48) and I'm having the same issues documented in this thread with no resolution. I've done the exact microSD procedure, and I've tried the Yaesu cable. The only difference I have done is that I'm using a SanDisk microSD. Which Samsung microSD did you use? I'm seeing the EVO Plus and PRO Plus, both 32GB, at my local Best Buy. Product description says the EVO is a Class 10.

Thanks,

KC3EJC - Shawn

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you try a 16GB ? Class 10 should not be required.

4. KC3EJC

KC3EJC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll try. Which model Samsung did you use with success?

5. 2E0WCG

2E0WCG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've just upgraded to 4.02/1 and 4.30 and found the same issue. It looks like the problem is that the backup file is a different format so won't load. To fix it:

1) Open the old backup in ADMS-8
    2) File / Export and create a CSV of the memories
    3) Put the SD card back in the FT2D and Format the SD card
    4) Write a new backup from the FT2DR (it will have junk in it, but we need the new format)
    5) Move the SD card to the PC
    6) Read from the SD card
    7) Import from the CSV file created in step 2.
    8) Save to the SD card
    9) Put SD card back in the radio and read from it.

Job done! It looks more complicated than it is. I overwrote my latest backup before I worked ut what was going on.

The cut and paste method from W6ATE above didn't work for me.

6. KD9LDD

KD9LDD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the same problem. I checked and confirmed my firmware, software, and hardware:
    • FT2DR: Main 2.02; Sub 2.01; DSP 4.30
    • RT FT2DR Programmer: 6.0.40 (Mac OS X version)
    • MicroSD: SanDisk Ultra microSDXC, UHS-1, 64GB (problem?)
    • MacBook Pro: OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
    On p. 29 of the Yaesu operating manual: "This transceiver only supports the following capacity of microSD and microSDHD memory cards."
    • 2GB
    • 4GB
    • 8GB
    • 16GB
    • 32GB
    Additionally, Yaesu cautions, "microSD memory cards formatted on other devices may not properly save information when used with this transceiver. Format microSD memory cards again with this transceiver when using memory cards formatted with another device."

So, it sounds like I need an SD or SDHD card. Moreover, the caution speaks to the issue of file formatting and compatibility in Windows vs. Mac. My understanding is that there are four file format types: HFS+, NTFS, FAT32, and exFAT. My guess is that most of us are familiar with NTFS (native Windows) and FAT32 (universal format for both Windows and Mac OS). There's a 4GB limitation in FAT32 but I'm guessing it's not an issue here, and neither is using a 64GB microSD card. Point is, format your microSD card using the FT2DR transceiver then insert your card reader into your Mac or PC and open Programmer.

Question: When Yaesu instructs the user to format the microSD card, which format is used? My Mac's System Information reports the SanDisk microSDXC card file system is formatted in exFAT (virtually no limitation on partition and file sizes). Navigating the Yaseu menus and writing to the SD card for backup and memory channels, the content is formatted in Windows NTFS. If I'm understanding correctly, there shouldn't be a compatibility issues between exFAT and NTFS. That said, I found this recent thread tracking the same problem when using CHIRP software to program the FT2DR: https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/5579

When I insert the microSD card into my Mac and launch FT-2D Programmer (Mac OS version), an untitled default spreadsheet opens with the first line populated with data, as depicted in RT's online user manual. The next step is to "Select Communications | Read Data from SD card from the menu at the top." I get nothing. I named the default file and performed a Saved As and noticed the directory defaulted to the hard drive as *.FT2D. I tried again to Save As to the SD card but the format is restricted to *.dat. I saved the radio data to the defaulted local directory then captured external data from RepeaterBook and performed a Write Data to SDCard. The RepeaterBook data filename is defaulted to "backup.dat" and stored on the microSD card. At this point I think I've successfully written the RepeaterBook data to the SD card and am ready to insert the SD card into the FT2D and perform a Read From SD function from the Backup menu. Again, nothing happens. Repeat the steps for Memory Channels and I get the same results.

Aside from replacing my non-recommend microSD card, what else can I do?

KD9LDD - Greg

7. KA9JLM

4GB limit ? I don't think so.

Sounds like it may be FAT32 format, Limit 32 GB

8. KD9LDD

Update...success!

Replaced microSD with PNY 16GB microSDHC Elite ($11.50 at local grocer) and BOOM!

1. With FT2DR turned off, insert microSDHC into slot, turn on FT2DR
    2. Go to Setup Menu, touch SD CARD button
    3. Select option 1 BACKUP, press DISP button, select option 2 Write to SD
    4. After completion, remove microSDHC from FT2DR and insert into SD-adaptor then into SD port on computer (MacBook Pro late-2013 feature--your computer may vary)
    5. Launch FT2D Programmer
    6. Go to Communication menu and select Read Data from SDCard. My manually programmed FT2DR channels and radio data appeared before me like a cold can of beer dripping with condensation and small ice crystals...I digress
    7. Go to File and select External Data then RepeaterBook Data, choose your preferences, Select All, then Apply. Spreadsheet should now be updated with your channel preferences
    8. Power-off FT2DR. Properly eject microSDHC from computer and insert into FT2DR. Power-on FT2DR
    9. Go to Setup Menu, touch SD CARD button
    10. Select option 1 BACKUP, press DISP button, select option 1 Read from SD
    11. Listen to gospel music praise your achievement as you dial through your FT2DR's channels copied from RepeaterBook...BOOM!
    12. Enjoy a second cold beer or other adult beverage of your desire as you survey your kingdom, aka, HAM shack.
    Regards and 73s,

Greg - KD9LDD

KA9JLM likes this.
  9. KA9JLM

That sounds good. Did it end up being FAT32 format ?

10. KD9LDD

No, it's exFAT.