Yaesu FT-991A Unboxing + On-Air Tests

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by KM6FAK, May 4, 2019.

?

Which Radio Would You Choose?

1. IC-7300

25.0%
  2. FT-991A

75.0%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KG5TON

KG5TON Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both of these radios. The 991 (non-A model) replaces my 7300 and a Kenwood 2 meter mobile. I thought I would miss the large waterfall of the 7300, but I do not.

KM6FAK likes this.
  2. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey there Jason,

A FT-991A owner here. It was fun to see in your video the RF gain button a bit back and injecting non-existent S-units in your S-Meter when using SSB, heh. Did the same here and took me a while to figure it out. FWIW, WTF that, Yaesu.

Well, I have mine since late November (bought in Black Friday) and these are my perceptions so far: https://www.eham.net/reviews/review/156096

I'm hacking mine a bit (link here) and I ought to say that I'm happy with the equipment.

When comparing with my ol' FT-840, I did a side-by-side test and I definitely could hear better faint signals (without DSP) with the 991A than the 840. When the DSP comes into action, then it becomes just unfair comparison. There's this annoying water'ish characteristic of the DSP, I'd love if Yaesu could make it any better.

There's a visible "A" in the front panel silk screen.

73s!!!

- Rodrigo.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    KM6FAK likes this.
  3. KM6FAK

KM6FAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Rodrigo!,

That is a lot of great information. You are doing some awesome things with the 991A! I will be bookmarking the links you have shared.

73!

Jason

4. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I live in a high QRM environment, and the IC-7300 was absolutely a disaster on receive. It went back, and I could not be happier with the FT-991A.

5. KM6FAK

KM6FAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh no kidding!

6. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I went from an Icom 7410 to the Yaesu 3000,and all i can say is wow. Much,much lower noise floor on the Yaesu,and I am a big Icom fan or at least I was. It's such a joy listening to HF again. Enjoy that 991a.